This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

PC Upgrade Questions

• Topic Archived
You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
  1. Boards
  2. PC
  3. PC Upgrade Questions

User Info: Cahill99

Cahill99
4 years ago#1
Currently, I have an i5-750, 4GB DDR-1333 RAM, and a Radeon HD 7870.

Is my RAM and CPU bottlenecking my GPU?

And if I were to upgrade to an i5-4670 and 8GB DDR-1600 RAM, would the 7870 be able to run new releases on the highest settings?

I want to do a complete rebuild of my PC but at the moment, I would only be able to get a motherboard, RAM, and CPU. And my intentions would be to upgrade to a 280x or 770 within a couple of months after Christmas or potentially going Crossfire with another 7870, whatever would be the best option for increased performance.

Thanks.
R.I.P Darrent Williams #27

User Info: Loshadt

Loshadt
4 years ago#2
Your CPU might be bottlenecking your GPU, but DEFINITELY not the RAM.

A 7870 won't be maxing too many games, even at 1920x1080, but you should be able to run them at high settings with 2x or no MSAA.

4 GB more of RAM wouldn't hurt since it's so cheap, but the speed is only going to make a barely perceptible difference. Hell, it might make no difference whatsoever.
Russian is my first language, so yes there may be a spelling error or two.
Kirino is best girl.

User Info: Cahill99

Cahill99
4 years ago#3
What would be the best in terms of GPU then? Crossfire 7870s or a brand new 280x?
R.I.P Darrent Williams #27

User Info: Loshadt

Loshadt
4 years ago#4
Cahill99 posted...
What would be the best in terms of GPU then? Crossfire 7870s or a brand new 280x?

a single GPU setup would be better, so if you're willing to drop the dosh then go with the 280x.
Russian is my first language, so yes there may be a spelling error or two.
Kirino is best girl.
  1. Boards
  2. PC
  3. PC Upgrade Questions

Report Message

Terms of Use Violations:

Etiquette Issues:

Notes (optional; required for "Other"):
Add user to Ignore List after reporting

Topic Sticky

You are not allowed to request a sticky.

• Topic Archived