This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Should I bother buying 5.1 speakers if I can't get any speakers behind me?

• Topic Archived
You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
  1. Boards
  2. PC
  3. Should I bother buying 5.1 speakers if I can't get any speakers behind me?

User Info: PsychoticFury

PsychoticFury
3 years ago#1
I'm looking for new PC speakers, mainly for gaming, and I'm not sure what to go about purchasing. I see a ton of 5.1 speaker systems, but I have no way to get speakers behind me, so they would all be on my desk in front of me.

Is it even worth purchasing a 5.1 system for this purpose, or should I go for a 2.1 system instead?

Also, does anyone have any recommendations?

User Info: AnatomyHorror

AnatomyHorror
3 years ago#2
2.1 would be better.

User Info: Nicodimus

Nicodimus
3 years ago#3
IMO, 2.1 would serve you best in that situation. It would be better to spend the money on a higher quality 2.1 setup than a 5.1 setup that you couldn't use properly.
Intel i5 4670K | Corsair 16GB DDR3 | Gigabyte GTX 770 4GB | ASUS 27" 1440p
Corsair 480GB SSD | WD 4TB HDD | Fractal Design R4 | Corsair 750MX | Win7Ult 64

User Info: PsychoticFury

PsychoticFury
3 years ago#4
Thank you for the insight.

I decided to go with the Genius SW-G2.1 1250 2.1 Speaker System.
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0056BPUQC/ref=oh_details_o00_s00_i00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I'm in a small bedroom, so these seem to be more than adequate for my situation.

Replacing an old Jensen SMPS-1000 Bluetooth Wireless Tower Speaker that I was using as my PC speaker. x.x;
http://www.amazon.com/Jensen-SMPS-1000-Bluetooth-Wireless-Subwoofer/dp/B009PDT6ZI/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1383576768&sr=8-1

User Info: PhilOnDez

PhilOnDez
3 years ago#5
Nicodimus posted...
IMO, 2.1 would serve you best in that situation. It would be better to spend the money on a higher quality 2.1 setup than a 5.1 setup that you couldn't use properly.

I definitely agree with this, the only exception would be if you think there's a chance your situation could change in the near future. Otherwise, 2.1 is the way to go.
Every time I try to go where I really wanna be it's already where I am, 'cuz I'm already there
XBL, PSN, Steam, Origin, BSN, GFAQs, MC: PhilOnDez
  1. Boards
  2. PC
  3. Should I bother buying 5.1 speakers if I can't get any speakers behind me?

Report Message

Terms of Use Violations:

Etiquette Issues:

Notes (optional; required for "Other"):
Add user to Ignore List after reporting

Topic Sticky

You are not allowed to request a sticky.

• Topic Archived