This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

FX 8350 or i5 4670k?

• Topic Archived
You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
  1. Boards
  2. PC
  3. FX 8350 or i5 4670k?

User Info: Oldschool_DBZ

Oldschool_DBZ
3 years ago#1
I've been looking around and still can't decide some people say go with the 8350 others saying go with 4670k. It's going to be only for gaming.

I'm using a 550W Antec 80+ psu right now is that enough for either one? I'm going to have to get a new mobo also but i'm trying to decide on a cpu. Thanks.
"The more things change, the more they stay the same" -Snake Plissken Escape from L.A.

User Info: d209999

d209999
3 years ago#2
4670. No question. AMD is only viable for budget builds.
*under construction*

User Info: Skul_

Skul_
3 years ago#3
i5
Alex, I'm trying to start a troll topic. Stop destroying my credibility here. - hypersonic2000

User Info: Orestes417

Orestes417
3 years ago#4
Depends largely on the workload. If you're doing heavily multithreaded things the AMD will be competitive if not outright better. Linus did a 4 part video series on it after Teksyndicate's somewhat surprising results a few months back. It looks even better when one factors in the sheer price difference and missing features on the intel side for someone like me who does heavy virtualization.
I am the mighty thesaurus! RAWR!

User Info: PhilOnDez

PhilOnDez
3 years ago#5
4670k. Better gaming performance and if you keep it for two years it pays for itself in power savings, faster if you plan on overclocking.
Every time I try to go where I really wanna be it's already where I am, 'cuz I'm already there
XBL, PSN, Steam, Origin, BSN, GFAQs, MC: PhilOnDez

Oldschool_DBZ
3 years ago#6
That's another thing I was looking at, i've read that the i5 runs cooler and uses less power, i'm currently using a phenom II 965be3.8ghz.
"The more things change, the more they stay the same" -Snake Plissken Escape from L.A.

User Info: ARMs7777

ARMs7777
3 years ago#7
if your running after market coolers, then running cooler part doesn't matter since stock coolers suck. And saving about a dollar in electricity a month is not that big a deal. Single thread performance is the only thing that matters.

User Info: Orestes417

Orestes417
3 years ago#8
^hardly. Go look at benches for modern games, BF4 Crysis 3, Far Cry 3. All put the AMD chip on par and ahead of the Intel because of the multithreading.
I am the mighty thesaurus! RAWR!

User Info: ARMs7777

ARMs7777
3 years ago#9
I didn't say the I5 is better, i'm just saying the single thread thing is the only real difference. I'm running a 8350 cause i prefer multithreading. I'm running virtual machine for my brother to use so i like the extra cores.

Oldschool_DBZ
3 years ago#10
Will a 550w antec 80+ psu work with both and will I be able to overclock with that psu? I'm using a Radeon 7950 also.
  1. Boards
  2. PC
  3. FX 8350 or i5 4670k?

Report Message

Terms of Use Violations:

Etiquette Issues:

Notes (optional; required for "Other"):
Add user to Ignore List after reporting

Topic Sticky

You are not allowed to request a sticky.

• Topic Archived