The next GameFAQs contest is here! Sign in and enter a Best Year in Gaming bracket for a chance at a $1000 grand prize!

This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Best sound card under $50

• Topic Archived
You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
  1. Boards
  2. PC
  3. Best sound card under $50

User Info: Treason686

Treason686
3 years ago#1
I know a lot about hardware, but I don't know jack about sound cards. I just bought some nice headphones, and I can't get them to sound how I want with the Realtek equalizer. I have Realtek HD Audio. I know this sound card is limited to begin with, so I think it's time to get something else.

$50 is on the high end of what I can spend, so less would be nice.

It has to be PCI-Express.

I don't know if this capability exists on PC, but I would love if my headphone jack could work with a mic and audio in one port without a 3.5mm splitter. My headphones have an in-line mic and it all runs through a single 3.5mm cord.

Secondary question:
Speaking of... Would it be possible to wire my front panel where both mic and audio went to a single port, bypassing a splitter?
PC: Core i7 920 || 6GB DDR3 || GTX 660 Ti || HP w2408h

User Info: Shub

Shub
3 years ago#2
What headphones did you get?
-What is best in life?
-To crush your enemies, see them driven before you, and to hear the lamentation of the women.

Treason686
3 years ago#3
http://www.amazon.com/Monster-On-Ear-Headphones-Control-Universal/dp/B00CZ1WDM0/ref=cm_cr_pr_product_top

Got these from work for around $30.

They seem to sound better on my phone, an HTC One.

Games are one use, but I end up listening to music more often these days while I'm working.

Treason686
3 years ago#4
This is above the budget, but it has a rebate. I don't know that there's anything else in the price range. Does anyone have any input on this card?

http://www.amazon.com/Xonar-DSX-Engine-Playback-Support/dp/B007TMZ1MY/ref=sr_1_1?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1384226031&sr=1-1&keywords=xonar+dsx

User Info: DarkZV2Beta

DarkZV2Beta
3 years ago#5
Treason686 posted...
http://www.amazon.com/Monster-On-Ear-Headphones-Control-Universal/dp/B00CZ1WDM0/ref=cm_cr_pr_product_top

Got these from work for around $30.

They seem to sound better on my phone, an HTC One.

Games are one use, but I end up listening to music more often these days while I'm working.

Xonar DG?
Even people have toenails. Of course PCs have toenails. -claytonbuckley

Treason686
3 years ago#6
Looks like I'd have to get the DGX to have PCI-Express.

I have one PCI slot on my PC, apparently. I didn't think I had one. The PCI-Express cards appear to be about $10 more, but I don't know that I can justify getting a PCI card to save ten bucks. I'll likely be replacing this computer in a year or so, and I wouldn't be surprised if a new motherboard had more Realtek audio and no PCI slots.

Seeing as how the DGX has a headphone amplifier and the DSX doesn't, I think the DGX is a better buy for me, even though it doesn't have as many features (That I won't use). Considering I won't be buying an awesome 5.1/7.1 speaker system anytime soon, I don't think the DSX is a smart buy.

Thanks Dark.

User Info: kelemvor

kelemvor
3 years ago#7
I think the last time I had a soundcard it used an ISA slot. Remember those? I can't remember when they phased ISA out but it was back in the Windows 95 days.
Kelemvor Lyonsbane

User Info: claytonbuckley

claytonbuckley
3 years ago#8
I have an external sound card that uses either a USB port, or just the 3.5mm audio. It also has a mic-in plug so if i used a 3.5mm mic i could plug it in there. i think it was about $60-$70 but there's probably ones like it for cheaper.

http://www.scorptec.com.au/computer/40407-sbxfi-s51-pro

I got it off eBay for cheaper
Pointing out your stupidity is not trolling
  1. Boards
  2. PC
  3. Best sound card under $50

Report Message

Terms of Use Violations:

Etiquette Issues:

Notes (optional; required for "Other"):
Add user to Ignore List after reporting

Topic Sticky

You are not allowed to request a sticky.

• Topic Archived