This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

VRAM question

• Topic Archived
You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
  1. Boards
  2. PC
  3. VRAM question

User Info: Rama_X

Rama_X
3 years ago#1
I read in the console board that the PS4 can use like 5GB ddr5 of vram ro play games.

So my question is how much vram should i have to keep up for next gen games?
Iam POPWW

User Info: EciDemon

EciDemon
3 years ago#2
2GB seems to be the spot right now. Above 3GB is overkill for a single display.
| Gigabyte GTX 780 Ti | i7 2600K @4.6Ghz |
| Asus P8Z68-V/GEN3 | 8GB DDR3 1600 | X-Fi Titanium champion |

User Info: killkount

killkount
3 years ago#3
I just read in another post that the ps4's gpu can't use more than 2gb by design? lol
http://i.imgur.com/XqIF7rn.gif

Rama_X
3 years ago#4
EciDemon posted...
2GB seems to be the spot right now. Above 3GB is overkill for a single display.

Right now it seems so, but in 1 or 2 years that will probably change.
Iam POPWW

User Info: EciDemon

EciDemon
3 years ago#5
It's a possibility, though I don't expect V-ram to increase that much. 3Gb will be fine for a single display
I used to Sli two 560Ti cards with 1GB V-ram and it was only a bottleneck in a few titles notably only such games that took steps beyond that of the console counterparts. Skyrim with texture mods, Crysis 3 and Tombraider. So I switched to a Gtx 680.

Assassins Creed 4 uses about 1.6GB so there's plenty to spare with a new high end graphics card.
Uses good textures and has tons of foliage and stuff on screen at all times.

So while the new consoles have a lot more ram then before, dev's still can't go nuts due to other limiting factors.
Ryse which looks very good still don't use better textures then Crysis 3 by the looks of it and it has to use gimped framebuffer resolution to play at acceptable levels.
| Gigabyte GTX 780 Ti | i7 2600K @4.6Ghz |
| Asus P8Z68-V/GEN3 | 8GB DDR3 1600 | X-Fi Titanium champion |

Rama_X
3 years ago#6
EciDemon posted...
It's a possibility, though I don't expect V-ram to increase that much. 3Gb will be fine for a single display
I used to Sli two 560Ti cards with 1GB V-ram and it was only a bottleneck in a few titles notably only such games that took steps beyond that of the console counterparts. Skyrim with texture mods, Crysis 3 and Tombraider. So I switched to a Gtx 680.

Assassins Creed 4 uses about 1.6GB so there's plenty to spare with a new high end graphics card.
Uses good textures and has tons of foliage and stuff on screen at all times.

So while the new consoles have a lot more ram then before, dev's still can't go nuts due to other limiting factors.
Ryse which looks very good still don't use better textures then Crysis 3 by the looks of it and it has to use gimped framebuffer resolution to play at acceptable levels.

Great post man, very informative. I guess i will be fine then with 3gb of vram.
Iam POPWW

User Info: Slayn

Slayn
3 years ago#7
People need to stop worrying about vram and look at the performance of each individual card itself.
ZOMG Pokeyman craze! FC: 2036-7659-0505

User Info: Pal 080

Pal 080
3 years ago#8
1 GB still seems fine for pretty much everything except for the most demanding of textures, so I feel like 3GB will be plenty to keep up with any demand for many years to come, particularly at 1080p. I don't see any game outside the boundaries of 3GB required for a good experience on highest settings at 1080p, hell even 1440p on a single display should work for years I would expect.

Guy above me is right too, I see a lot of people drawn toward bad GPU's simply because they have a large amount of VRAM, but that's not going to help if the base power of the GPU isn't effective for demanding titles.
"If we can hit that bulls-eye, the rest of the dominoes will fall like a house of cards. Checkmate"

Rama_X
3 years ago#9
Pal 080 posted...
1 GB still seems fine for pretty much everything except for the most demanding of textures, so I feel like 3GB will be plenty to keep up with any demand for many years to come, particularly at 1080p. I don't see any game outside the boundaries of 3GB required for a good experience on highest settings at 1080p, hell even 1440p on a single display should work for years I would expect.

Guy above me is right too, I see a lot of people drawn toward bad GPU's simply because they have a large amount of VRAM, but that's not going to help if the base power of the GPU isn't effective for demanding titles.

Yeah that seems to be the case, i feel even better now about buying the N780 Lightning =D It will be a great upgrade for my good GeForce 8600 GT, my baby had a good run.
Iam POPWW
  1. Boards
  2. PC
  3. VRAM question

Report Message

Terms of Use Violations:

Etiquette Issues:

Notes (optional; required for "Other"):
Add user to Ignore List after reporting

Topic Sticky

You are not allowed to request a sticky.

• Topic Archived