This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

BCLK Sandry Bridge non K Overclocking Safe?

• Topic Archived
You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
  1. Boards
  2. PC
  3. BCLK Sandry Bridge non K Overclocking Safe?

User Info: Raikozy

Raikozy
3 years ago#1
So I have i7 2600 for 2 years I guess and I have been running it x42 (limited overclocking) and according to windows my max speed is 4.1ghz. I was under the assumption that it will be 4.2ghz because the stock bclk is 100mhz but it actually translates to 97.6 I think. So Im just wondering, I know it causes instability, but is it fine to just up the bclk from stock of 100mhz (1000) to just 2 (1020) or at extreme cases 3 (1030mhz)? Thank you

User Info: Thescyy

Thescyy
3 years ago#2
You are usually fine if you are 5-7mhz from 100mhz. That being said you should be getting 100mhz, it shouldn't be sitting lower at 97mhz if it's set to default.

You don't have hyper-V installed do you? That is known to cause programs like cpu-z to report bclk of several mhz lower than what it actually is.
i7 3930k @ 4.5Ghz | H220 | asrock x79 extreme 9 | 16GB 1600mhz ram | SLI GTX 780 | Samsung 830 256GB SSD | 8TB HDDs | EVGA Supernova 1300 G2 | Fractal design R4

User Info: WyzeGye

WyzeGye
3 years ago#3
Doesn't hurt to try
http://pcpartpicker.com/b/GCJ
http://youtu.be/AEKc-vNv_rU - updated 11/21/2013

Raikozy
3 years ago#4
Thank you for all your responses, I never or dont know if I have hyper v in my computer, I'm going to check it now

Thescyy
3 years ago#5
Raikozy posted...
Thank you for all your responses, I never or dont know if I have hyper v in my computer, I'm going to check it now

You would know if you had it enabled as you have to enable it manually in windows 8. It's Microsoft's Virtualization software.
i7 3930k @ 4.5Ghz | H220 | asrock x79 extreme 9 | 16GB 1600mhz ram | SLI GTX 780 | Samsung 830 256GB SSD | 8TB HDDs | EVGA Supernova 1300 G2 | Fractal design R4

Raikozy
3 years ago#6
I just enable hyper v (it was disabled before) and it restarted my computer. While at it, I increase my bclk from 102 to 103, and something weird happen. I rebooted my computer and now taskmanager shows my cpu max speed as 3.49ghz instead of 4.1 ghz, I was under the assumption that it would say 4.2 or 3 ghz instead. In cpu z I also noticed that my bclk doesnt stay in a fix number, it goes up and down which is extremely weird

Thescyy
3 years ago#7
Raikozy posted...
I just enable hyper v (it was disabled before) and it restarted my computer. While at it, I increase my bclk from 102 to 103, and something weird happen. I rebooted my computer and now taskmanager shows my cpu max speed as 3.49ghz instead of 4.1 ghz, I was under the assumption that it would say 4.2 or 3 ghz instead. In cpu z I also noticed that my bclk doesnt stay in a fix number, it goes up and down which is extremely weird

Yeah, the up and down thing is the effect hyper-V has on how CPU-Z reads the BCLK. It is actually running at the set bclk, it just seems that hyper-V messes with the way cpu-Z and other programs read the bclk.

Raikozy
3 years ago#8
Oh i see

Thescyy
3 years ago#9
All that being said it is very odd that your bclk was at 97mhz. Is it set to default in the bios?
  1. Boards
  2. PC
  3. BCLK Sandry Bridge non K Overclocking Safe?

Report Message

Terms of Use Violations:

Etiquette Issues:

Notes (optional; required for "Other"):
Add user to Ignore List after reporting

Topic Sticky

You are not allowed to request a sticky.

• Topic Archived