This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Good god! What happened?!?

• Topic Archived
You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
  1. Boards
  2. PC
  3. Good god! What happened?!?

User Info: Dinglesteed

Dinglesteed
3 years ago#1
Was just browsing newegg and decided to look at my GPU I bought a few months back - Sapphire 7970 OC with Boost - to see what it was selling for now. I paid about $289 for it after rebate. Just checked and it is selling for a whopping $499 and is out of stock. The hell?
Playing: CoD: Ghosts (PS4), Forza 5 (XB1), Mario 3D World (Wii U), ETS2 (PC)
3DS FC: 2191-7639-5571

User Info: ChromaticAngel

ChromaticAngel
3 years ago#2
short answer: bitcoins/litecoins

long answer biiiiiiiiiiiitcooooooooiiiiiinnnnnnnsssssss/lllllllliiiiiiiiiiitttttttteeeeeeeccccccoooooooiiiiiinnnnnnssssss
"The easiest way to stop piracy is ... by giving those people a service that's better than what they're receiving from the pirates." ~ Gabe Newell.

User Info: GTL581

GTL581
3 years ago#3
i still don't understand bitcoins. i get that they're digital currency, but how the hell are they driving up prices of gpus like that?
3DS FC: 0834-1778-4100
pm me for an add

User Info: Xeno_Predator

Xeno_Predator
3 years ago#4
People buy GPUs to mine Bitcoins. Sudden demand with no supply = increase in cost.
Genius has its limitations. Ignorance has none.

User Info: Dinglesteed

Dinglesteed
3 years ago#5
Considering selling mine and just getting a 770 + extra cash. Man....A bit ridiculous haha.
Playing: CoD: Ghosts (PS4), Forza 5 (XB1), Mario 3D World (Wii U), ETS2 (PC)
3DS FC: 2191-7639-5571

User Info: Angurvadal

Angurvadal
3 years ago#6
Bitcoin market is crashing fast so better sell it while you still can.
Words of wisdom from Guybrush Threepwood:
http://tinyurl.com/cell59d

User Info: r0ge00

r0ge00
3 years ago#7
Xeno_Predator posted...
People buy GPUs to mine Bitcoins.

Only clueless people are still trying to mine Bitcoins with GPUs. They're probably mining the sub-types like Litecoins or whatever. ASICs completely took over Bitcoin mining and are only getting better.

User Info: xanthan1

xanthan1
3 years ago#8
r0ge00 posted...
Xeno_Predator posted...
People buy GPUs to mine Bitcoins.

Only clueless people are still trying to mine Bitcoins with GPUs. They're probably mining the sub-types like Litecoins or whatever. ASICs pretty much took over Bitcoin mining and are only getting better.

So either idiots wasting money on a fake currency that they can still scam people out of for real money but will never be able to do since they're woefully outdated or idiots wasting money on a less popular version of the fake currency that can't scam anyone out of money for for nearly as much.

User Info: bluezero

bluezero
3 years ago#9
Yeah I just relisted my 7950 today. Fingers crossed.
Of all the zeroes, I'm the bluest.

User Info: Orestes417

Orestes417
3 years ago#10
Nothing fake about the currency. If people trade for it it has value. It is the wrong time to jump on the bandwagon though.
I am the mighty thesaurus! RAWR!
  1. Boards
  2. PC
  3. Good god! What happened?!?

Report Message

Terms of Use Violations:

Etiquette Issues:

Notes (optional; required for "Other"):
Add user to Ignore List after reporting

Topic Sticky

You are not allowed to request a sticky.

• Topic Archived