This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

do I need a new PSU?

• Topic Archived
You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
  1. Boards
  2. PC
  3. do I need a new PSU?

User Info: JohnnyKooch

JohnnyKooch
3 years ago#1
I'm having a problem with my new motherboard. This is also the exact same issue I had with a completely different but also new motherboard I had a few months ago.

After I haul the 7 year old mobo out and plug a new gigabyte mobo w/ a new CPU (reason for new mobo), when I press the power, all fans start for a slight second and cut off instantly. So they basically go back to where they were. So nothing is powered on longer for a second, if that. I posted this for the other new mobo I tried months ago with the same results. And the answers very slightly lead to me needing a new PSU.

I just dont get it though, it works fine when I go back and plug the old reliable back in. Its a giant thermaltake tough power, so huge my brother bent the case to fit it in. I can't even see the watts but it was more than enough for the X2 5000+ and a giant radeon he put in back in the day, and the GPU I have now is a low profile budget nvidia.

I just really want to know if psu's get outdated like this? Its 0 for 2 so far when it comes to powering new mobos. Everything is plugged in, or what's required anyway.

User Info: Cheech001

Cheech001
3 years ago#2
If it's a Haswell processor, it is a possibility. They have a power state that is very low and some older PSU's are unable to provide that small amount of power.

http://www.tomshardware.com/answers/id-1714530/haswell-certified-psu-list.html
  1. Boards
  2. PC
  3. do I need a new PSU?

Report Message

Terms of Use Violations:

Etiquette Issues:

Notes (optional; required for "Other"):
Add user to Ignore List after reporting

Topic Sticky

You are not allowed to request a sticky.

• Topic Archived