This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

How bad is static for a running computer/peripherals?

• Topic Archived
You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
  1. Boards
  2. PC
  3. How bad is static for a running computer/peripherals?

User Info: CardigansFan

CardigansFan
3 years ago#1
Three times already I've discharged static into my G9x mouse, causing it to turn off for a few seconds before returning back to normal. Right now I just discharged static onto the case while plugging my headphones in.

I'm assuming as long as the desktop is plugged into a wall socket, I should be fine?
Galaxy Note 3 * 3DS XL
NX300 * VModa M80

User Info: myztikrice

myztikrice
3 years ago#2
are you rolling around in a carpeted room?
Why are you always smiling?
'Cause it's all so f***in' hysterical.

CardigansFan
3 years ago#3
myztikrice posted...
are you rolling around in a carpeted room?

Nope, just really dry in Chicago right now.
Galaxy Note 3 * 3DS XL
NX300 * VModa M80

User Info: googs19

googs19
3 years ago#4
I managed to destroy the scroll wheel on my mouse by giving it a static shock before.

User Info: EStar999

EStar999
3 years ago#5
Why don't you buy a humidifier?

User Info: arleas

arleas
3 years ago#6
The case should be grounded. Even still, I wouldn't go scooting around in leather soled shoes or wearing lots of wool and/or rubbing balloons on my head and then randomly touching computer parts.

A humidifier would help a little, but it shouldn't be hard to avoid shocking your computer to death anyway. I live in Texas so we don't really get cold dry weather (we're more likely to get cold and wet weather) but I've never had a problem, even when I lived in Alaska.

You COULD make this a routine... before you do ANYTHING involving your computer, touch something that will ground you (the screw that attaches the faceplate to your electrical outlet should do just fine).
http://astats.astats.nl/astats/astats_card_76561197969913402.png
http://i.imgur.com/Im803Gk.gif

CardigansFan
3 years ago#7
googs19 posted...
I managed to destroy the scroll wheel on my mouse by giving it a static shock before.

Ouch.

EStar999 posted...
Why don't you buy a humidifier?

I have two running on high, 24/7. Still dry.

arleas posted...
The case should be grounded. Even still, I wouldn't go scooting around in leather soled shoes or wearing lots of wool and/or rubbing balloons on my head and then randomly touching computer parts.

A humidifier would help a little, but it shouldn't be hard to avoid shocking your computer to death anyway. I live in Texas so we don't really get cold dry weather (we're more likely to get cold and wet weather) but I've never had a problem, even when I lived in Alaska.

You COULD make this a routine... before you do ANYTHING involving your computer, touch something that will ground you (the screw that attaches the faceplate to your electrical outlet should do just fine).

Fair enough, I guess I'll try that.
Galaxy Note 3 * 3DS XL
NX300 * VModa M80

User Info: siglumdiobolik

siglumdiobolik
3 years ago#8
might sound dumb but it actually works to some extent , put anti static dryer sheets in your pockets to reduce static build up it wont eliminate it completely but it will reduce it a hefty bit.
Navy, GunnersMate 1st Class

User Info: Crimson_Jesus

Crimson_Jesus
3 years ago#9
jesus i didn't chicago was so dry, i don't have a humidifier and i've never been shocked in my apartment

im in Los Angeles though
If you believe in Cthulhu and are 100% proud, put this in your sig.
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v723/AJSadler/Sigs/CrimsonJesus.jpg
  1. Boards
  2. PC
  3. How bad is static for a running computer/peripherals?

Report Message

Terms of Use Violations:

Etiquette Issues:

Notes (optional; required for "Other"):
Add user to Ignore List after reporting

Topic Sticky

You are not allowed to request a sticky.

• Topic Archived