This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Do games require 64-bit yet?

• Topic Archived
You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
  1. Boards
  2. PC
  3. Do games require 64-bit yet?

User Info: Solid Sonic

Solid Sonic
3 years ago#1
If not, is it time?
The claim: I play what's fun.
The truth: Video games aren't entertaining enough, I must chide others for choosing to play something I won't.

User Info: wizardmon

wizardmon
3 years ago#2
Yes.
I think I'm the only person on gamefaqs with a daughterboard - ToastyOne
New with a moderation history more plentiful than karma. - Fossil (Moderator)

User Info: chase1234life

chase1234life
3 years ago#3
Please rephrase your first question.

If however you mean a 64-bit operating system (which is what I'm assuming), then no. And no.
http://www.last.fm/user/chasewolf
J.O.B. Squad 4 life

User Info: SinisterSlay

SinisterSlay
3 years ago#4
We are right on the edge. For the most part, 32bit will give you minimum settings these days.

The executables are still 32bit but they get access to 4 gigs of RAM and unlimited VRAM.
So as long as a game doesn't need more than 4 gigs of RAM there is no reason to go 64bit yet.

However, an operating system at 32bit has a maximum of 4 gigs memory total, thats VRAM and system RAM combined. And subtract 512mb of kernel space(wasted memory) and you end up with 3.5 gigs maximum assuming you don't have a video card, if you do, VRAM is subtracted from the system memory. A 1 gig card will leave you with 2.5-3 gigs of RAM. A 3 gig 680 would leave you with less than a gig of system ram. You can't run a game in that little space.

64bit OSs emulate 32bit address spaces for 32bit programs. So each program gets 4 gigs of addressable memory space.
He who stumbles around in darkness with a stick is blind. But he who... sticks out in darkness... is... fluorescent! - Brother Silence

User Info: metroidman92

metroidman92
3 years ago#5
SinisterSlay posted...
We are right on the edge. For the most part, 32bit will give you minimum settings these days.

The executables are still 32bit but they get access to 4 gigs of RAM and unlimited VRAM.
So as long as a game doesn't need more than 4 gigs of RAM there is no reason to go 64bit yet.

However, an operating system at 32bit has a maximum of 4 gigs memory total, thats VRAM and system RAM combined. And subtract 512mb of kernel space(wasted memory) and you end up with 3.5 gigs maximum assuming you don't have a video card, if you do, VRAM is subtracted from the system memory. A 1 gig card will leave you with 2.5-3 gigs of RAM. A 3 gig 680 would leave you with less than a gig of system ram. You can't run a game in that little space.

64bit OSs emulate 32bit address spaces for 32bit programs. So each program gets 4 gigs of addressable memory space.

I think I learned more in this post than I did in a whole semester of CompSci.

No wonder my PC can't play s***.
New s*** has come to light.

User Info: Goshorai

Goshorai
3 years ago#6
SinisterSlay posted...

No wonder my PC is behaving like crap, I have 3gb System and my GPU has 2gb, i'm on W7x86.

Also, wasnt Watch_Dogs the first game to *require* a 64bits? or I'm confusing stuff?
"Woah~, Onee-sama...your breasts are so big~!"
Steam ID: Goshorai. / XBL:ShoraiZenta.
The cranky hermit 3 years ago#7
If however you mean a 64-bit operating system (which is what I'm assuming), then no. And no.

The second "no" seems to be implying that we should still stick to 32-bit OS's. If you were going to buy Win7 or later, why wouldn't you get the 64-bit version? The only reason I can think of is 16-bit compatibility, which you can get with DOSBox, and I don't think 32-bit Win7 works with 16-bit games anyway.
http://thecrankyhermit.wikispaces.com/
Year-by-year analysis of the finest gaming has to offer, and (eventually) more!

User Info: PhilOnDez

PhilOnDez
3 years ago#8
Goshorai posted...
No wonder my PC is behaving like crap, I have 3gb System and my GPU has 2gb, i'm on W7x86.

Also, wasnt Watch_Dogs the first game to *require* a 64bits? or I'm confusing stuff?

I've seen a few Alphas/Betas that required 64 bit but with a 32bit final release, if only as an option. Watch dogs is the only one I know of that will be 64 bit only.

Be careful on the X86 stuff, X64 is short for X86_64, don't reinstall for nothing.
Every time I try to go where I really wanna be it's already where I am, 'cuz I'm already there
XBL, PSN, Steam, Origin, BSN, GFAQs, MC: PhilOnDez

User Info: Ikari Gendo

Ikari Gendo
3 years ago#9
Doesn't X-Rebirth require x64? It's hard to tell why since performance sucks so much.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2wdw64aHYXA

User Info: SinisterSlay

SinisterSlay
3 years ago#10
Ikari Gendo posted...
Doesn't X-Rebirth require x64? It's hard to tell why since performance sucks so much.

From what I heard its a 32bit exe.
However, the graphics card requirements puts it over the limit of a 32bit OS, so realistically you'd want a 64 bit system.
He who stumbles around in darkness with a stick is blind. But he who... sticks out in darkness... is... fluorescent! - Brother Silence
  1. Boards
  2. PC
  3. Do games require 64-bit yet?

Report Message

Terms of Use Violations:

Etiquette Issues:

Notes (optional; required for "Other"):
Add user to Ignore List after reporting

Topic Sticky

You are not allowed to request a sticky.

• Topic Archived