This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Can't boot into Windows 7. Suggestions?

• Topic Archived
You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
  1. Boards
  2. PC
  3. Can't boot into Windows 7. Suggestions?

User Info: Printerscape

Printerscape
3 years ago#1
Specs:
Motherboard - ASRock X58 Extreme3
CPU - Intel i7 950
GPU - NVIDIA Quadro FX 1800
RAM - 3 sticks of 2gb Patriot DDR3 1333
PSU - 580W Coolmax
HDD - WD Caviar 1TB

Issue:
This computer has not been booted up since early November, where it was reported to be very slow running.

I tried turning it on now, and it just gives a blue screen after loading Windows.

Troubleshooting Steps:
-Reset BIOS to default.
-Start Windows Recovery; auto recovery failed.
-Tried System Restore of up to three previous versions; each one failed.
-Put this HDD in another working computer, it boots just fine. Indicates that it might be a hardware problem in the PC, and not software/HDD.
-Ran Memtest86; it passed.

What more troubleshooting steps can I do, to determine if it's the GPU or the motherboard (those are the only things that can f*** up at this point, right?)?

Printerscape
3 years ago#2
I ran Farbar Recovery Scan Tool, and it seems alright... what could be the problem?

User Info: PraetorXyn

PraetorXyn
3 years ago#3
1. Put the components into a machine you know works; if you're lucky you might find which one it is.
2. Clear CMOS on the motherboard.
3. See if there's a BIOS update for your motherboard, and flash that if there is.
4. If none of that works, format the harddrive (not a quick format, a full one to check for disk errors) and reinstall Windows.

Nothing else comes to mind really. I'd test components in this order:
1. RAM
2. GPU
3. PSU

If none of that works, it would be a hardware problem with either the CPU or the motherboard. At that point you're better off building a new PC than replacing one or both of those components.
Console war in a nutshell:
http://imgur.com/xA6GJZ9

Printerscape
3 years ago#4
PraetorXyn posted...
1. Put the components into a machine you know works; if you're lucky you might find which one it is.
2. Clear CMOS on the motherboard.
3. See if there's a BIOS update for your motherboard, and flash that if there is.
4. If none of that works, format the harddrive (not a quick format, a full one to check for disk errors) and reinstall Windows.

Nothing else comes to mind really. I'd test components in this order:
1. RAM
2. GPU
3. PSU

If none of that works, it would be a hardware problem with either the CPU or the motherboard. At that point you're better off building a new PC than replacing one or both of those components.

Thank you.

I tried the HDD and the GPU; they both work fine in an identical computer. I cleared CMOS (removing the battery, and moving the clip to "CLEAR CMOS", then back to "NORMAL"), went into BIOS to only update the time (everything else set to default).

I do not have the option to format the harddrive, as the user does not want this. The harddrive from the defective computer (Computer A) works on another computer (Computer B). I put the original harddrive from B to A, and it still doesn't boot. Both A and B harddrives boot in B.

I checked for RAM using MEMTEST; it passed twice passes. GPU card, I removed for diagnostics (but it works on B). How would I test for PSU?

User Info: DXMG

DXMG
3 years ago#5
Same way you test anything - put it in a rig that works.

Also, re-seat the motherboard. Just take it out and put it right back in.... I cant tell you how many random, seemingly no-cause issues I have "fixed" with this over the years.
Medic!

User Info: betatech

betatech
3 years ago#6
what is the actual BSOD? you may need to disable automatic restart using F8.
Asus P8Z77-V Pro, Intel i7 3770K 3.5Ghz, 8GB RAM, Ati Radeon 5770 1GB, CM 690 II. Win7 x64.

User Info: Lootman

Lootman
3 years ago#7
put the HDD into another computer

transfer files to external HDD

format HDD and reinstall windows

transfer files from external HDD to original one.
\(._.)/ Hi, my name is Lootman.
._.)/ http://i.imgur.com/KyOOLwU.jpg
  1. Boards
  2. PC
  3. Can't boot into Windows 7. Suggestions?

Report Message

Terms of Use Violations:

Etiquette Issues:

Notes (optional; required for "Other"):
Add user to Ignore List after reporting

Topic Sticky

You are not allowed to request a sticky.

• Topic Archived