This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

esports not a real sport?

• Topic Archived
You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
  1. Boards
  2. PC
  3. esports not a real sport?

User Info: Boge

Boge
3 years ago#21
HydroCannabinol posted...
Boge posted...
A sport has athletes. Athletes are physical competitors. Video gaming is not physical. Video gaming is not a sport. It's one of the most stupid things humans have done this generation is to dub competitive video gaming a sport. Is Chess a sport?

Haha way to prove your ignorance and look like a fool.

How so exactly? Look up the definition of sports. I posted it just above. Read it and think about what it means.
Don't lie to someone who trusts you.
Don't trust someone who lies to you.

User Info: my_name_is_Ed

my_name_is_Ed
3 years ago#22
At the end of the day, sports are nothing more than games.
http://i.imgur.com/cSf50Qs.png

User Info: Garquill

Garquill
3 years ago#23
chess is an Olympic sport

get learned
backloggery.com/Garquille
"Education is what remains after one has forgotten everything he learned in school." ~ A. Einstein

Garquill
3 years ago#24
anyway, the traditional definition of "sport" involves physical exertion because that's all there was

not that esports have no physical skills. Aiming at extreme levels and playing StarCraft as quickly as possible are extreme uses of physical dexterity and precision

Besides all that, definitions evolve over time. A more holistic definition of "sport" would be "a game where competition is strong enough to have developed a metagame" or something akin to that

people can keep on saying video games or chess can't be a sport, but they sound like all those older generations saying new genres of music aren't real music
"Education is what remains after one has forgotten everything he learned in school." ~ A. Einstein

User Info: sonicteam2k1

sonicteam2k1
3 years ago#25
what about Chess?
See The Game Collection
http://people.ign.com/nights_team2k7/games

Boge
3 years ago#26
It's not part of the Olympic games. It's part of it's own Chess Olympiad. Not the same thing.
And so he prophesied that the sheeple will follow the stupid, and the stupid will rule the Earth.

Boge
3 years ago#27
Garquille14 posted...
anyway, the traditional definition of "sport" involves physical exertion because that's all there was

not that esports have no physical skills. Aiming at extreme levels and playing StarCraft as quickly as possible are extreme uses of physical dexterity and precision

Besides all that, definitions evolve over time. A more holistic definition of "sport" would be "a game where competition is strong enough to have developed a metagame" or something akin to that

people can keep on saying video games or chess can't be a sport, but they sound like all those older generations saying new genres of music aren't real music

They need to create a new word for it, not change a current word with a very long standing definition.

Whatever. If you want to call yourselves "athletes", I can't stop you. If it tickles your loins...whatever. You're just taking away from what a real classic "athlete" is though. It's like calling myself a chef because I made myself some cereal this morning. Whatever floats your boat.
And so he prophesied that the sheeple will follow the stupid, and the stupid will rule the Earth.

User Info: TrueKu

TrueKu
3 years ago#28
eSports..... = Severely underpaid...

They're as much of athletes as...
pro.... billiards... poker.... uh..... chefs.... bowling.......golf....

i mean look at the bozos making a big deal about putting a plastic ball into a bucket tied to a pole... or holding a ball and running across a line.
Chief Scientician

Garquill
3 years ago#29
well esports is usually used as that "new word", although I think they're still sports either way

User Info: my_name_is_Ed

my_name_is_Ed
3 years ago#30
Boge posted...
Garquille14 posted...

They need to create a new word for it, not change a current word with a very long standing definition.

Whatever. If you want to call yourselves "athletes", I can't stop you. If it tickles your loins...whatever. You're just taking away from what a real classic "athlete" is though. It's like calling myself a chef because I made myself some cereal this morning. Whatever floats your boat.

Someone sounds a little upset.
http://i.imgur.com/cSf50Qs.png
  1. Boards
  2. PC
  3. esports not a real sport?

Report Message

Terms of Use Violations:

Etiquette Issues:

Notes (optional; required for "Other"):
Add user to Ignore List after reporting

Topic Sticky

You are not allowed to request a sticky.

• Topic Archived