This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Water cooling GPU

• Topic Archived
You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
  1. Boards
  2. PC
  3. Water cooling GPU

User Info: YOeastonYO

YOeastonYO
3 years ago#1
So I kinda understand the basics of water cooling, but I've only ever used closed loop CPU coolers.

I've wanted to water cool my entire system for a long time but when it comes to the GPU does the card have to be a reference model? I see waterblocks for these cards are they look amazing in looks and quality, but I've never really got any card that isn't a Direct CU cooler.
FX-9590 | Antec Kuhler h2o 1220 | ASUS 7970 | ROG Crosshair V | Corsair Force GT 240GB SSD | ROG Raidr | Antec TPQ-1200 | Antec DF-85 | AMD Radeon RG2133 |

User Info: Snuckie7

Snuckie7
3 years ago#2
You just need a card with a PCB that has a waterblock designed for it, so reference models would obviously be the most compatible. You could also use universal blocks too, but those don't cool the VRMs or memory.

And I don't know why you care about the cooler on a card that you're going to be watercooling anyways.
Intel Core i7 3820 | EVGA X79 SLI K2 | - | Samsung / 840 120GB / 8GB RAM | 1TB WD Caviar Blue | Corsair / 550D / H70 | Silencer MKIII 600W

User Info: GTRagnarok

GTRagnarok
3 years ago#3
The particular waterblock will specify it. There are ones for stock cards and some for custom cards, including DirectCU.

User Info: YOeastonYO

YOeastonYO
3 years ago#4
Snuckie7 posted...
And I don't know why you care about the cooler on a card that you're going to be watercooling anyways.

Its not that I care. I was pretty much stating what I have now, which would be the Asus PCB 7970. The 7970 still plays games completely fine for me, so I don't plan on upgrading for a little. I appreciate the info though, and I'll take a look at some universal ones. Though I'd hate to not completely cool the card
FX-9590 | Antec Kuhler h2o 1220 | ASUS 7970 | ROG Crosshair V | Corsair Force GT 240GB SSD | ROG Raidr | Antec TPQ-1200 | Antec DF-85 | AMD Radeon RG2133 |

User Info: SM1LER7

SM1LER7
3 years ago#5
I was interested in doing a custom loop in a couple years so I was looking at parts and I noticed that almost all VGA blocks are for reference designs. Aside from EVGA who has blocks for all their high end cards with custom PCBs, the other I found was EKWB who makes a block for the DCUII cards (including 7970) and some Nvidia cards.
i5 3570K/ P8Z77-V/ GTX 670 FTW/ 8GB Vengeance LP/ AX750/ Hyper 212 EVO/ Carbide 500R
  1. Boards
  2. PC
  3. Water cooling GPU

Report Message

Terms of Use Violations:

Etiquette Issues:

Notes (optional; required for "Other"):
Add user to Ignore List after reporting

Topic Sticky

You are not allowed to request a sticky.

• Topic Archived