This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

question about asymmetrical crossfire.

• Topic Archived
You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
  1. Boards
  2. PC
  3. question about asymmetrical crossfire.

User Info: RX_93_Nu_Gundam

RX_93_Nu_Gundam
3 years ago#1
I don't fully understand how crossfire works. I do know that it involves using two gpus to increase graphics performance. However asymmetrical crossfire uses two different gpus. My question is there a way where you could turn one gpu off? For instance I was looking at a laptop that uses an amd 8650G+8670M w/1gb of memory.

I read that this combo is actually inferior than a single amd 8670M. However, some sites stated on some games, the performance was better than an Nvidia 740m gt. Overall I was curious if I could turn off the 8650G when gaming and use the 8670m while gaming instead of both.

One last thing, I have not yet purchased this system. Im still trying to research this before buying anything.

User Info: ChromaticAngel

ChromaticAngel
3 years ago#2
I believe AMD has a program you can download that will let you disable one of the GPUs, but I haven't bought anything AMD in years so I'm not sure. but nVidia can do it so I don't see why AMD couldn't. It seems like a pretty basic feature to not have.
"The easiest way to stop piracy is ... by giving those people a service that's better than what they're receiving from the pirates." ~ Gabe Newell.

User Info: Odin of Kpx

Odin of Kpx
3 years ago#3
If it's anything like regular crossfire on a desktop, you can disable crossfire in the CCC.

RX_93_Nu_Gundam
3 years ago#4
What's CCC? Also, does anyone know if a crossfire configuration for gaming is dangerous for a laptop? I'm worried about potential overheating issues.

RX_93_Nu_Gundam
3 years ago#5
Bump

User Info: Th1rte3n

Th1rte3n
3 years ago#6
CCC = Catalyst Control Panel
i7-920 @ 3.6 // 470 GTX // 12 GB G.Skill Sniper Ram // PS3 // 360
FiiO e9+17 // AD700 + M50 // Deck Legend + 82 // DAS Ultimate S

User Info: thebladeofwoe

thebladeofwoe
3 years ago#7
Yes you can tc. My laptop ( the one in the sig) has asymmetrical crossfire. And it works quite well.

Alot of games render better on card that is true. But all in all, a solid machine for its price.
A10 ('@2.3) HD 7600G & HD 7670M 8gb ram W8.
Fc 3969-4396-9870
  1. Boards
  2. PC
  3. question about asymmetrical crossfire.

Report Message

Terms of Use Violations:

Etiquette Issues:

Notes (optional; required for "Other"):
Add user to Ignore List after reporting

Topic Sticky

You are not allowed to request a sticky.

• Topic Archived