This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Would it be worth building a custom gaming laptop, or should I focus only on PC?

• Topic Archived
You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
  1. Boards
  2. PC
  3. Would it be worth building a custom gaming laptop, or should I focus only on PC?

User Info: ukemandwnbu

ukemandwnbu
3 years ago#1
Could one craft a high-end custom gaming laptop? Would it be worth it? I'm considering researching building a medium-to-high-end custom gaming PC, but if I'm yearning to game on-the-go, carrying around a custom-built gaming laptop would be great. Like if you're waiting to board your flight at the airport for an hour and a half, or perhaps you've finished your finals but the prof has mandated you stay in class until everyone finishes.

For example... http://imgur.com/6LxflDY

Or should I focus all energies on crafting a masterpiece of a gaming PC?

User Info: PhilOnDez

PhilOnDez
3 years ago#2
You can't really build a laptop, it's just not a realistic thing to do. If you want one you basically just have to pony up the massive premium that the form factor commands. If price is any sort of a factor I'd highly recommend a desktop and a cheap laptop if you end up needing one. For the price of a system with SLI 780m's you could have a system with a regular 780 and a desktop processor that would outperform it and still have the cash for a decent laptop.
Every time I try to go where I really wanna be it's already where I am, 'cuz I'm already there
XBL, PSN, Steam, Origin, BSN, GFAQs, MC: PhilOnDez

User Info: ukemandwnbu

ukemandwnbu
3 years ago#3
Thanks for the knowledge PhilOnDez.

Yeah, what I didn't want to do was buy a so-called "gaming laptop" from Alienware or anything. I'd rather concentrate all my resources on a custom gaming desktop/mouse+keyboard PC. I'll probably be looking into a decent laptop for general gaming, though, if I have leftover cash.

User Info: DRAGON07891230

DRAGON07891230
3 years ago#4
ukemandwnbu posted...
Thanks for the knowledge PhilOnDez.

Yeah, what I didn't want to do was buy a so-called "gaming laptop" from Alienware or anything. I'd rather concentrate all my resources on a custom gaming desktop/mouse+keyboard PC. I'll probably be looking into a decent laptop for general gaming, though, if I have leftover cash.

http://www.xoticpc.com/sager-np8235-clevo-p151sm1-p-5840.html?wconfigure=yes
_______()>===<()______........._______
[__]//P[__]======^^^^^^-------------------***** ( '_') > Uh Oh! (Unofficial Godhead of ESV boards)

User Info: Ikari Gendo

Ikari Gendo
3 years ago#5
If your situation was similar to mine with a lot of travel, then yes you can customize a powerful gaming laptop for a significant price increase. However you think your situation can deal with having a desktop, you should probably do that, as it'll be more powerful for cheaper.

In your second post, when you say "general gaming," I assume that means still a decently powerful laptop.... that's still $800 at least. Or at least it was $800 a year ago when I got my sager.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2wdw64aHYXA
  1. Boards
  2. PC
  3. Would it be worth building a custom gaming laptop, or should I focus only on PC?

Report Message

Terms of Use Violations:

Etiquette Issues:

Notes (optional; required for "Other"):
Add user to Ignore List after reporting

Topic Sticky

You are not allowed to request a sticky.

• Topic Archived