This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

A decrease of pre-rendered cutscenes?

• Topic Archived
You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
  1. Boards
  2. PC
  3. A decrease of pre-rendered cutscenes?

User Info: BS_Infinite

BS_Infinite
3 years ago#1
I started noticing around the time of Gears of War that a lot of games started moving away from pre-rendered cutscenes. Why?

I feel like I can't be the only one who misses them. I know many games still have them, but why are they becoming less and less common?
--
-

User Info: drewh

drewh
3 years ago#2
Movies take up tons of space, and game engines are now good enough to display complex scenes.
My gaming Youtube channel: http://www.youtube.com/ramblingtoad

User Info: Dragnfyr

Dragnfyr
3 years ago#3
Most of the time prerendered cutscenes look worse than the ones rendered in the engine on a decent PC because they are compressed so much.
15.4" Retina MacBook Pro (Mid 2012) | Node 304 mITX | Gigabyte Z87N-WIFI | Intel Core i5-4670K | Asus GTX 760 | Corsair 1x8GB | EVGA 600W | 120+64GB SSDs

User Info: nIMr0D888

nIMr0D888
3 years ago#4
I can't stand them; I will not miss the blurry 240p 15fps cutscenes at all.
CAUTION: EXTREMELY HAZARDOUS SUBSTANCE

User Info: animanganime

animanganime
3 years ago#5
If you mean high quality fancy looking cutscenes like those in Diablo 3 then it is because those are not exactly cheap to make.
There are still plenty of pre-rendered cutscenes nowadays but they use in-game assets so it looks real-time but most of the time with compression and lower frame rate (BF4 comes to mind as I am typing this)
WC i5 2500k @ 4.4 ghz, 2x GTX 670 DirectCU II, Samsung 830 128GB SSD, 16GB G.Skill 1600 DDR3, Zalman 1000W PSU, Cosmos 1000 Case, HP LP3065 @ 2560 x 1600 IPS

BS_Infinite
3 years ago#6
animanganime posted...
If you mean high quality fancy looking cutscenes like those in Diablo 3

Exactly what I mean! :)
--
-

User Info: pitt12177

pitt12177
3 years ago#7
You ever play XCOM Declassified? Never play XCOM Declassified It's like Legacy of Kain-esque cut scenes. I didn't think I'd ever see slide shows that pass as cutscenes again.

BS_Infinite
3 years ago#8
Dragnfyr posted...
Most of the time prerendered cutscenes look worse than the ones rendered in the engine on a decent PC because they are compressed so much.

That's a poor outlook imo because they obviously CAN always look much better
--
-

User Info: KJay489

KJay489
3 years ago#9
For me I like that there is no graphical difference when transitioning from cutscenes to gameplay.

User Info: therickmu25

therickmu25
3 years ago#10
BS_Infinite posted...
animanganime posted...
If you mean high quality fancy looking cutscenes like those in Diablo 3

Exactly what I mean! :)

The only redeeming quality of Diablo 3 were those cutscenes IMO. They were epic.
PC: http://i.imgur.com/9Ho6VA1.jpg
  1. Boards
  2. PC
  3. A decrease of pre-rendered cutscenes?

Report Message

Terms of Use Violations:

Etiquette Issues:

Notes (optional; required for "Other"):
Add user to Ignore List after reporting

Topic Sticky

You are not allowed to request a sticky.

• Topic Archived