This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

are motherboards that important in making a powerful machine?

• Topic Archived
You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
  1. Boards
  2. PC
  3. are motherboards that important in making a powerful machine?

User Info: BonerFreedom

BonerFreedom
3 years ago#1
I have about a 4 year olds Asus mother board and a an doing some upgrades. Just want to know if it's worth upgrading this right now. Fits 8 gb ram. And the nvidia gtx series.

User Info: gsf4lyfe

gsf4lyfe
3 years ago#2
Chances are it won't support whatever processor you want to put in it. What socket is it/what is your current processor?
FX 6300 @ 4.0Ghz | GTX 760 | AsRock 970 Extreme3 | 120 GB 840 EVO | 2x4GB RAM @ 1600Mhz | CX 500m
SteamID: gsf4lyfe

User Info: NGd72

NGd72
3 years ago#3
Dont do it now.

Wait for DDR4 to come out and new chipsets.

Then upgrade

User Info: Shub

Shub
3 years ago#4
No, but obviously the motherboard controls what CPUs you can use, and something that's 4 years old is going to limit you to ~4-year-old CPUs, which isn't great.
Support for 8 GB of RAM is hardly an accomplishment these days, but as 8 GB is the sweet spot, get that. Hopefully your motherboard supports DDR2, not 3.
As for supporting nVidia cards, well, that's nothing special. If your motherboard has a PCI Express x16 slot, it can support any video card that uses a PCI Express x16 slot, all the way to the Radeon R9 290X or GeForce GTX 780 Ti.
-What is best in life?
-To crush your enemies, see them driven before you, and to hear the lamentation of the women.

BonerFreedom
3 years ago#5
It currently has a amd phenom 2 x6 1055 t. Also holds 16 gigs as I currently have 8 and have a few more slots

Shub
3 years ago#6
So what's your current video card and what upgrades are you planning on purchasing?
-What is best in life?
-To crush your enemies, see them driven before you, and to hear the lamentation of the women.

User Info: Gwendal

Gwendal
3 years ago#7
It's also important for building powerful systems in the sense that if you want a SLI/Crossfire dual GPU setup, you're obviously going to need a motherboard that supports that. Note that some only support one or the other, like mine which only supports Crossfire.
Currently playing:
Crusader Kings 2 (PC), Persona 3 FES (PS2), Super Mario 3D World (Wii U)

BonerFreedom
3 years ago#8
Gtx 550 ti. Was looking at the higher up at gtx series aince this one has treated me so well. Maybe the 680

BonerFreedom
3 years ago#9
Mother board is ACPI x64

Shub
3 years ago#10
Ok, I guess any recent video card would be an upgrade from a 550 Ti... definitely don't get a 680 though, get a 770, it's cheaper and performs about the same if not better. That said, your CPU will hold the card's performance back.
-What is best in life?
  1. Boards
  2. PC
  3. are motherboards that important in making a powerful machine?

Report Message

Terms of Use Violations:

Etiquette Issues:

Notes (optional; required for "Other"):
Add user to Ignore List after reporting

Topic Sticky

You are not allowed to request a sticky.

• Topic Archived