This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Can someone tell me the difference between windows 8 and 8.1?

• Topic Archived
You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
  1. Boards
  2. PC
  3. Can someone tell me the difference between windows 8 and 8.1?

User Info: stampedefoot

stampedefoot
3 years ago#1
My computer has been asking me alot lately to upgrade to it, but I'm afraid I won't like the experience. So what's it like?
3ds fc 1805-2209-2574. "No copyright law in the universe is going to stop me" -Sonic

User Info: TowerBooks3192

TowerBooks3192
3 years ago#2
Start button which will only lead you back to that ugly start thing and not the good old start from 7 and a lot of headache for it messes up the resolution of most games and those things like installers where you could not click on the buttons and etc. I regret doing it and would really love to go back to 8.
AC new leaf FC: 1547-5212-4948. Name: Miiguel Town name: Tower

User Info: Shub

Shub
3 years ago#3
If you don't encounter any issues with the upgrade, it's like Windows 8 but with UI improvements.
-What is best in life?
-To crush your enemies, see them driven before you, and to hear the lamentation of the women.

User Info: 181stCommander

181stCommander
3 years ago#4
Sounds like I shouldn't upgrade.
Join The Galactic Empire, like the Imperial Fleet facebook page.
https://www.facebook.com/theimperialfleet

User Info: fatali

fatali
3 years ago#5
8.1 is exactly the same, I don't know what the other person is talking about with resolution issues and what not. I have been playing all my games in 8.1 and the only issue I had was the sound of bioshock, which was a problem that also happen in windows 7.
Mystery is the source of all true science.

User Info: Termin8r

Termin8r
3 years ago#6
Don't worry all your woes will be fixed by the time Windows 8.2 arrives.
http://i.imgur.com/e6zStfw.gif

User Info: nameless0101

nameless0101
3 years ago#7
It's basically a service pack with a few UI changes, if you have Windows 8 there's no reason not to upgrade to it.
Xbox Live Gamertag DeludedFool
PSN Name also DeludedFool

User Info: Flen15

Flen15
3 years ago#8
I haven't seen too many differences so far

but I used to have this weird problem with 8 where I couldn't run things as an administrator or delete things that needed administrator approval. It was really weird.

After I upgraded to 8.1 the problem went away.

*shrugs =\

User Info: sfcalimari

sfcalimari
3 years ago#9
- has caused several of my games to crash
- seems to have caused a memory error where I'll be playing a game and suddenly it minimizes to desktop telling me I'm running out of memory and I need to close programs. I then check Task Manager and it shows I'm nowhere near using all of my 8GB of memory, I think it's some kind of false positive bug. It might be an Nvidia thing (has happened with Shogun 2 and Company of Heroes 2) but it didn't happen to me ever until I installed Windows 8.1.
- caused BSOD crashes in games until I installed fresh drivers for my intel integrated graphics card, which is weird considering I only run games on my Nvidia gpu
http://i75.servimg.com/u/f75/17/26/59/67/ku-xla10.jpg
"Permit me to rule over the goats as well as the sheep." --Zygmunt Augustus
  1. Boards
  2. PC
  3. Can someone tell me the difference between windows 8 and 8.1?

Report Message

Terms of Use Violations:

Etiquette Issues:

Notes (optional; required for "Other"):
Add user to Ignore List after reporting

Topic Sticky

You are not allowed to request a sticky.

• Topic Archived