This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Buying a external harddrive for fraps.

• Topic Archived
You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
  1. Boards
  2. PC
  3. Buying a external harddrive for fraps.

User Info: Rip_Van_WinkleX

Rip_Van_WinkleX
3 years ago#1
(I made a topic in the Hardware, but there are not that much traffic there.)

I do have a USB 3.0. I know fraps is not the best, but I bought it a long time ago and never used it. My current internal harddrive is too slow, that and it's the only harddrive I have.

I got a cheep cyberpower computer 2 years ago because my ex-fiance(lol) pressured me in getting a pre-built computer instead of building our own. I did lots of research on it, but I remember that the company did not give in to details about the power supply in the computer; which sounds like there is just enough power for the componts in already. So I am pretty scared about adding anything new.

My budget is 50$ on amazon (Gift card), though I can spend a bit more if I need to.

Right now I am looking at USB 3.0 drives that only have 5200 RPM with at least 500 GB. Now, I know reading and writing on my harddrive sucks, but since it's only writing to the extrenal drive I would think it should kill most of the lag.

The video will be at 30 FPS and around 1280 x 800 resolution.

I hear that 5200 RPM is pretty slow. But of all the forums and guides didn't say if about if that speed was ok on a drive that's only writing. Long forums post start to get in flame wars about fraps or other crap.

Does anyone have any experience with a external Harddrive using 5200 RPM in capturing video?
3DS FC: 3411-1516-5741
My Pokemon Safari: (Fire) Growlithe, Charmeleon , and Ninetails

User Info: Rip_Van_WinkleX

Rip_Van_WinkleX
3 years ago#2
bump
3DS FC: 3411-1516-5741
My Pokemon Safari: (Fire) Growlithe, Charmeleon , and Ninetails

User Info: MaxCHEATER64

MaxCHEATER64
3 years ago#3
Do...do you think that external hard drives don't draw power from the PSU?
i5-3570K @ 4.6 GHz | HD IceQ X 7850 | Z77-D3H | 700W | Intel 550 180GB | Seagate Barracuda 1T | Seagate XTD 2T + 16GB SSHD | 2x8 GB RAM

User Info: Zashule

Zashule
3 years ago#4
Hard drive speed isn't going to matter if you are bottle necked by USB 3.0. It will be slower than your internal drive is.
http://backloggery.com/Zashule - XBL/PSN: TBreit - Steam:Zashule
XBL:150,779GS - PSN: Lv:12 w/936 Trophies - Steam: Lv:17

User Info: BilliePilgrim

BilliePilgrim
3 years ago#5
MaxCHEATER64 posted...
Do...do you think that external hard drives don't draw power from the PSU?

Not any amount worth noting if it's a drive with it's own power supply.
i5 2500k @ 4.4| Corsair H60 | EVGA GTX 670 | MSI P67A-GD55 | 8GB DDR3 1600 | Fractal Design Define XL | 750W PSU
http://tinyurl.com/bsdvav7
  1. Boards
  2. PC
  3. Buying a external harddrive for fraps.

Report Message

Terms of Use Violations:

Etiquette Issues:

Notes (optional; required for "Other"):
Add user to Ignore List after reporting

Topic Sticky

You are not allowed to request a sticky.

• Topic Archived