This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

So how different are these two power supplies?

• Topic Archived
You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
  1. Boards
  2. PC
  3. So how different are these two power supplies?

User Info: lord_rye

lord_rye
3 years ago#1
I currently own this one
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817152035

and this one that is seemingly worse is more expensive
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817151074&clickid

If thats better is it worth upgrading to?
Last game played in 2007 was Halo3.

User Info: Jiazhen

Jiazhen
3 years ago#2
Why is a seasonic seemingly worse than a raidmax to you?

Don't worry about upgrading unless you're powering up really expensive hardware and is worried that a raidmax might blow up and take down the rest of the rig.
Phenom II 925 | GTX560 | Corsair Dominator 4gb | GA-990FXA-UD5 | HX620 | Carbide 200r

User Info: Shub

Shub
3 years ago#3
Simple, the Raidmax is a piece of junk, and the Seasonic isn't. I'm guessing you're looking at the Seasonic's wattage, seeing a lower number than what the Raidmax has, and assuming that makes the Seasonic a worse unit. That is not the case.
If you want a longer explanation, go read this: http://gamefaqspc.wikispaces.com/Power+Supply :)

That being said, that Seasonic is a pretty poor deal.
http://pcpartpicker.com/part/xfx-power-supply-p1550sxxb9 is of identical quality and cheaper. In fact, it's made by Seasonic, just rebadged by XFX.

And yes, you should definitely get rid of your Raidmax junker.
-What is best in life?
-To crush your enemies, see them driven before you, and to hear the lamentation of the women.

User Info: someflamablekid

someflamablekid
3 years ago#4
Raidmax warranty 2 years.

Seasonic 5 years (some are even 7 year warranty)

That's pretty much how confident the manufacturers are. I had a raidmax and it did died within about 2 years and wasn't worth the hassle to return as it was fairly low wattage and I was tired of raidmax.

Seasonic is a very reputable brand and you get what you pay for. And that is not a very good deal on the seasonic you posted.

lord_rye
3 years ago#5
Yeah thanks guys. All i was doing is looking at the wattage. I'm trying to keep costs down for a new build but i think i'll go ahead and buy a new one.

User Info: ein311

ein311
3 years ago#6
You're always better off going with a higher-quality, lower wattage rating PSU than a higher-wattage, crappy quality PSU.

The PSU is one of the most importance parts of your computer. Don't skimp.
Man your own jackhammer
Man your battlestations

lord_rye
3 years ago#7
One more thing guys, how do you know if its a bad quality one? Is it because its raidmax or something else? Iv'e been using that for about 6 years now and its worked for me. I just wanted to know if i should upgrade from it if im bothering to upgrade everything else.

User Info: it4solution

it4solution
3 years ago#8
seasonic and corsair are the two best brands for a psu im quite sure of
Steam ID: iT4Solution

User Info: wizardmon

wizardmon
3 years ago#9
lord_rye posted...
One more thing guys, how do you know if its a bad quality one?

Read the link Shub posted. Shub's a professional in the field of knowing what he's talking about so I think we should trust him.
I think I'm the only person on gamefaqs with a daughterboard - ToastyOne
New with a moderation history more plentiful than karma. - Fossil (Moderator)

User Info: DarkZV2Beta

DarkZV2Beta
3 years ago#10
lord_rye posted...
One more thing guys, how do you know if its a bad quality one? Is it because its raidmax or something else? Iv'e been using that for about 6 years now and its worked for me. I just wanted to know if i should upgrade from it if im bothering to upgrade everything else.

That's not really easy. Basically, there's no easy way to tell if a PSU is or isn't junk. You just have to do your research into the actual performance and output of the PSU. Unfortunately, reviews for off-brand PSUs like the junk you're using are rather infrequent or poorly done quite often.
god invented extension cords. -elchris79
  1. Boards
  2. PC
  3. So how different are these two power supplies?

Report Message

Terms of Use Violations:

Etiquette Issues:

Notes (optional; required for "Other"):
Add user to Ignore List after reporting

Topic Sticky

You are not allowed to request a sticky.

• Topic Archived