This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Dedicated physx

• Topic Archived
You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
  1. Boards
  2. PC
  3. Dedicated physx

User Info: kill2this

kill2this
3 years ago#1
Does anyone on the board run a dedicated physx card? I'm just toying on the idea at the minute, currently using a GTX770 from what I've read (a lot of conflicting information fwiw) I should be looking at a 560/650 as the minimum?
Am I also right in thinking that even though my board doesn't support SLI it'd still work?

User Info: Ep1taph303

Ep1taph303
3 years ago#2
Yeah man

User Info: DV8ingSources

DV8ingSources
3 years ago#3
It should be fine so long as your secondary pci-e is at least a 4x lane. I use my 670 as a dedicated physx right now until I get my second 770. It works quite well but it is wasted power and heat for normal usage. Just finished batman arkham asylum, played a lot of ac4, and am mostly through metro last light. I don't really feel drops with physx in those games (aside from towns in ac4, which have way too many smoke stacks).

Overall its not worth buying a card for but if you have one sitting around its alright.
2500k @ 4.4 | P8Z68-V Pro | H80 | 8GB RAM | 770 + 670 physx | 256 SSD | 8TB HDD | Win 8.1 64bit | ax1200w | CM690II
Steam: DV8ing1

kill2this
3 years ago#4
Thanks DV8 appreciate the input, I don't have one lying about but I'm eyeing a 650 on ebay for 40 ($60?) so investment wise it'd be minimal.

User Info: Lonestar2000

Lonestar2000
3 years ago#5
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cbww3dhzK0M
Rumble Roses. Someone enters the room.
Them: O_O Me: What?! I always play games without my pants on!- Inmate 922335

kill2this
3 years ago#6
Lonestar2000 posted...
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cbww3dhzK0M

That's the type of thing I've been trying to find although there doesn't seem to be anything on the 6/7 series.

User Info: DV8ingSources

DV8ingSources
3 years ago#7
Lowest I'd go is a 650 but I'm not sure if that would be a hindrance for a 770. Depends on the game I imagine and in AC4's case you might be hurting performance. Again, not in a position to test and as you've already mentioned, results of such tests aren't easily accessible online.
2500k @ 4.4 | P8Z68-V Pro | H80 | 8GB RAM | 770 + 670 physx | 256 SSD | 8TB HDD | Win 8.1 64bit | ax1200w | CM690II
Steam: DV8ing1

kill2this
3 years ago#8
Tried researching online a bit more, only thing I could really find was comments from 770 owners stating that a 650 and even a 660ti actually hurt framerate when used as a dedicated physx processor, I much rather have been able to find benchmarks with proven figures, but i think at the minute I'll hold off.

User Info: EciDemon

EciDemon
3 years ago#9
For a while I had 2 Gtx 560Ti in sli, it got very hot and loud so I decided to replace that setup with a Gtx 680.

When I got the card I tried one of the 560Ti cards as dedicated physx but the results was very underwhelming.

I tested Arkham City and Metro, both showed on average 1-2 fps improvements vs the Gtx 680 doing everything alone, EVGA Precision X reported around 5% gpu usage on the dedicated physx card.
So it really wasn't worth it.

Some day I'll try the Gtx 680 as a dedicated physx card now that I have a 780Ti though I doubt there will be better results.

From my experience, it's not worth it if you already have a fast card, the 770 being a re-branded 680 it's fast.
Maybe you would see better scaling on low end hardware but that's just speculation on my part.
| Gigabyte GTX 780 Ti | i7 2600K @4.6Ghz |
| Asus P8Z68-V/GEN3 | 8GB DDR3 1600 | X-Fi Titanium champion |

User Info: PhilOnDez

PhilOnDez
3 years ago#10
If you have a high end card there's typically not a card worth buying for PhysX. The only thing worth it is if you're buying an even higher end card and don't want to sell your old card.
Every time I try to go where I really wanna be it's already where I am, 'cuz I'm already there
XBL, PSN, Steam, Origin, BSN, GFAQs, MC: PhilOnDez
  1. Boards
  2. PC
  3. Dedicated physx

Report Message

Terms of Use Violations:

Etiquette Issues:

Notes (optional; required for "Other"):
Add user to Ignore List after reporting

Topic Sticky

You are not allowed to request a sticky.

• Topic Archived