This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Is there a way to hook up your console/Roku/etc to your laptop as a monitor?

• Topic Archived
You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
  1. Boards
  2. PC
  3. Is there a way to hook up your console/Roku/etc to your laptop as a monitor?

User Info: Jim200

Jim200
3 years ago#1
Through HDMI?

I mean it's a screen, right? I want this when all the TVs are taken, I would just connect the HDMI cable to the laptop and play/watch on it.

This probably sounds dumb to some of you but I've never thought about it until now. Please let me know.
PSN: Jemi200 ::: NNID: Jemi200 ::: 3DS FC: 5129-0276-3428 Name: Jemi
I Pre-Ordered an Xbox One and PS4 Within Hours of Each Other on June 10th, 2013

User Info: Lvthn

Lvthn
3 years ago#2
Short answer: probably not.

For a longer answer, you'll have to do some research. Some laptops have native HDMI input now.

User Info: PhilOnDez

PhilOnDez
3 years ago#3
Alienware is the only brand that does that that I can name off the top of my head. I'm sure there's others but you'll just have to look for your specific laptop.
Every time I try to go where I really wanna be it's already where I am, 'cuz I'm already there
XBL, PSN, Steam, Origin, BSN, GFAQs, MC: PhilOnDez

User Info: Psythik

Psythik
3 years ago#4
Not without some soldering skills and an electrical engineering degree.

EDIT: You could get a USB TV tuner with an HDMI input but for the price of one of those you're better off buying a small monitor.
4670k | 2GB GTX 770 OC | 8GB 1600 9-9-9-24 | 120GB SSD | 1TB WD Blue | Win8.1 Pro
http://i597.photobucket.com/albums/tt56/S26DG44B/PsythikViolet_Blooded.jpg

User Info: Asellus

Asellus
3 years ago#5
Not easily, not unless it has an hdmi in to start with which most certainly don't.

You could certainly jury-rig something with say a usb hdtv tuner with an hdmi in port though.

User Info: LordSeifer

LordSeifer
3 years ago#6
the HDMI on laptops is basically always only an output
^ this

User Info: blablablax17

blablablax17
3 years ago#7
PhilOnDez posted...
Alienware is the only brand that does that that I can name off the top of my head. I'm sure there's others but you'll just have to look for your specific laptop.

There's a Sony model that does this. One of their higher end models.

I almost bought it for this very reason, before I settled on an Asus laptop.
Stalking the GameFaqs boards since '04.
  1. Boards
  2. PC
  3. Is there a way to hook up your console/Roku/etc to your laptop as a monitor?

Report Message

Terms of Use Violations:

Etiquette Issues:

Notes (optional; required for "Other"):
Add user to Ignore List after reporting

Topic Sticky

You are not allowed to request a sticky.

• Topic Archived