This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

CPU load

• Topic Archived
You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
  1. Boards
  2. PC
  3. CPU load

User Info: Mrtyu

Mrtyu
3 years ago#1
When I go to open Task manager (win 8) my CPU load will display as something between 30-50% for 2-3 seconds and rapidly/suddenly drop to less than 4%, most of it is coming from the task manager as expected but 10-20% of it isn't unless its something further down the list related to task manager? Supposedly there are some malware that cause a strain on the CPU but as soon as you open task manager it will suddenly drop?

User Info: Psythik

Psythik
3 years ago#2
That's perfectly normal. Task Manager completely demolishes CPUs for a few seconds while it starts up. It's been like this for years.
4670k | 2GB GTX 770 OC | 8GB 1600 9-9-9-24 | 120GB SSD | 1TB WD Blue | Win8.1 Pro
http://i597.photobucket.com/albums/tt56/S26DG44B/PsythikViolet_Blooded.jpg

Mrtyu
3 years ago#3
Well I know that, what I'm asking is there a process related to it further down to add the extra 10%? or does it drop so fast that when its displaying CPU load task manager has already dropped below what its displaying?

This is what I mean - http://imgur.com/8GSCFnq
It displays 41% when the CPU load is at 60%

User Info: DarkZV2Beta

DarkZV2Beta
3 years ago#4
Some forms of DRM can show this kind of behavior. GameGuard can thrash a CPU to 100% usage, but still show System Idle running 99%.
god invented extension cords. -elchris79

Mrtyu
3 years ago#5
Well I don't have gameguard on are any of the games it comes with, but I use Steam, Origin and play swtor through its own launcher but when I check task manager I'm not doing any of these things.

*also I'm pretty sure its not malware at this stage as I booted it in safe mode and used malwarebytes and still found nothing.

User Info: fuzzyman

fuzzyman
3 years ago#6
r u crayzeh
dude http://i.imgur.com/hOjV6w3.jpg bro

Mrtyu
3 years ago#7
fuzzyman posted...
r u crayzeh

maybe...

User Info: DarkZV2Beta

DarkZV2Beta
3 years ago#8
Check you system idle. If it adds up with your total usage to 100, then there's not likely anything to worry about.
Windows actually does a lot of background fluff until you open task manager or run something as well.
god invented extension cords. -elchris79

Mrtyu
3 years ago#9
DarkZV2Beta posted...
Check you system idle. If it adds up with your total usage to 100, then there's not likely anything to worry about.
Windows actually does a lot of background fluff until you open task manager or run something as well.

I know this was a pretty pointless question but thanks for giving me some form of assurance.
  1. Boards
  2. PC
  3. CPU load

Report Message

Terms of Use Violations:

Etiquette Issues:

Notes (optional; required for "Other"):
Add user to Ignore List after reporting

Topic Sticky

You are not allowed to request a sticky.

• Topic Archived