This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Wanting opinions on whether or not it is time to upgrade...

• Topic Archived
You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
  1. Boards
  2. PC
  3. Wanting opinions on whether or not it is time to upgrade...

User Info: AtomicMenace

AtomicMenace
3 years ago#1
My current setup is:

Intel Core 2 Quad CPU Q6600 2.40GHz
4GB DDR2 PC2-8500
Geforce GTX 460 1GB GDDR5
2TB 7200 RPM HDD

I'll be honest that for the longest time I have been concentrating on console gaming with both the PS4 and Xbox One due to many friends only having consoles and notebooks to game on, but I also have a huge Steam library that I'm always adding to it for future play - I'm wondering if I would see much of a benefit of getting a new PC at this point in time or whether I should continue waiting for something new on the horizon?

How behind the times am I?

P.S. If it is time to get a new PC I am assuming that Battlefield 4 is currently the top bench-setter for specs. Is this the case? If so, what is the cheapest I can spend to build something that can max out BF4?

Like always, any and all help will be greatly appreciated! Cheers!

AtomicMenace
3 years ago#2
Bump.

User Info: VIP86

VIP86
3 years ago#3
If you aren't getting what you want, then upgrade. If you can wait a bit longer, DDR4 is coming out, so you can do a complete new build. A lot of people are waiting for the 800 series cards from the green team, which should be out, I believe later this year.
i5-3570K| MAXIMUS V GENE| ASUS DCUII 670| CORSAIR XMS3 8GB| CORSAIR 350D| INTEL 520 180GB| CORSAIR H110i| CORSAIR AX750

User Info: Dirk85UK

Dirk85UK
3 years ago#4
AtomicMenace posted...
I am assuming that Battlefield 4 is currently the top bench-setter for specs. Is this the case?

Crysis 3 is more power demanding than battlefield 4.
GTX 780ti SC / i7 4770k / 16gb RAM / Gigabyte GA-Z87X-UD5H / 840 Pro Basic / Seasonic X-850 / Dell U2711

User Info: foodeater4

foodeater4
3 years ago#5
Your computer isn't that bad at all. Your CPU and GPU are getting a bit old, but there not horrible. I think in you case, I would just upgrade the GPU. Maybe a GTX 660, 670 or a gtx 760 depending on what you want to spend and/or if you'd also have to upgrade the PSU with a 760.

Also, 4 gigs of ram if you have a 64bit OS

User Info: ArkonBlade

ArkonBlade
3 years ago#6
If you are not playing it a lot now you might as well wait a bit longer to upgrade. Unless you plan on playing it soon and want the best possible graphics you can afford now.
SRPG games...i just love them!
PSN - ArkonBlade XBL - The Wolf Shadow STEAM - ArkonBlade

User Info: smelly_boob

smelly_boob
3 years ago#7
Dirk85UK posted...
AtomicMenace posted...
I am assuming that Battlefield 4 is currently the top bench-setter for specs. Is this the case?

Crysis 3 is more power demanding than battlefield 4.

does anyone even play crysis? I know they;ve made 3 of them... but the only time the series gets mentioned is when youa re talking about PC graphic benchmarks... not actual fun?

If you want to play BF4 maxed on a 1080p display, you are probably looking at a $1000 build minimum (assuming having to buy everything new including OS)

AtomicMenace
3 years ago#8
Well speaking of the devil, the said PC from earlier has now officially died leaving me typing this on a Macbook Pro from mid-2010. With no way to access my massive Steam collection (let's face it - Macs don't exist for gaming) I am finding myself in desperate need to assemble a new PC that will effectively run everything currently out along with being future proof for the foreseeable future in terms of upcoming games certain to be blockbusters.

As of now I am setting my absolute maximum cost at $1300, though I would love to keep it around a grand if not lower. Keep in mind that I have dual monitors, awesome keyboard + mouse, speakers, all that - so I am needing the barest of essentials for a rocking tower. Any and all help will be greatly appreciated and commended as my late PC was also built from suggestions and assistance provided to me from the GameFAQs community.
(message deleted)

User Info: Ghost_Turtle

Ghost_Turtle
3 years ago#10
I just recently built a new PC. These are my specs:

i5 4670K Processor
8 GB DDR3 1866
NVIDIA GeForce GTX 770
256 GB SSD
1TB HDD
Windows 8

That ran me around $1200. I could have maybe shaved $100-150 off minus the bells and whistles I didnt mention.
If I had arms, I would try harder.
PSN: Kozmo14
  1. Boards
  2. PC
  3. Wanting opinions on whether or not it is time to upgrade...

Report Message

Terms of Use Violations:

Etiquette Issues:

Notes (optional; required for "Other"):
Add user to Ignore List after reporting

Topic Sticky

You are not allowed to request a sticky.

• Topic Archived