This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Wanting opinions on whether or not it is time to upgrade...

• Topic Archived
You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
  1. Boards
  2. PC
  3. Wanting opinions on whether or not it is time to upgrade...

User Info: Slayn

Slayn
3 years ago#11
I would have upgraded a lot sooner, but you might as well hang on for a while longer. I am sure there are plenty of changes over the next year that will be a significant upgrade. Right now we are on the 4th generation of the current CPU line up and each stepping has been a very minor increase, the only one worthwhile being 1st to 2nd gen. 3rd and 4th have barely been an increase.

DDR4 is coming, and Intel will either come out with a 5th gen, or an entirely new CPU line. I don't think it will be for another year though at least, but I feel like if you upgrade every 5 years, it isn't really a good time.
You can spend $400 on a console and $400 on a cheap PC, or you can spend $800 to build your own and have the best of both worlds.

User Info: d209999

d209999
3 years ago#12
Upgrading for the sake of doing it is just a waste of money. Wait until you have an actual need (ie New Game X that you're dying to play can't maintain a stable framerate unless you turn everything down to low).
*under construction*

User Info: Master_Bass

Master_Bass
3 years ago#13
d209999 posted...
Upgrading for the sake of doing it is just a waste of money. Wait until you have an actual need (ie New Game X that you're dying to play can't maintain a stable framerate unless you turn everything down to low).

You know he said his PC just died, right?
Many Bothans died to bring you this post.

User Info: CynicalNaivete

CynicalNaivete
3 years ago#14
I just finished piecing together a new build myself for about your budget. I'm assuming your HDD isn't the thing that failed and you can salvage it, along with the case.

http://pcpartpicker.com/p/2Z6DI

If you're looking to cut corners, you could got with a GTX 770 instead and a cheaper motherboard and PSU if you don't plan to overclock (in which case you could get the 4670 CPU instead of the 4670K to save slightly more).

User Info: AtomicMenace

AtomicMenace
3 years ago#15
How does this look for now? Also I'm sticking the Nvidia GTX 460 I already have in this new machine until newer cards go down in price, as well as saving my SATA HDDs.

http://pcpartpicker.com/p/31db2

User Info: YOeastonYO

YOeastonYO
3 years ago#16
The 460 isn't bad yet for playing games, but are you sure that wasn't the fault in the system?

User Info: Ikari Gendo

Ikari Gendo
3 years ago#17
What exactly happened to your computer?
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2wdw64aHYXA

User Info: AtomicMenace

AtomicMenace
3 years ago#18
It gets to the initial post screen and before the screen changes the PC shuts off automatically.

User Info: hakujo

hakujo
3 years ago#19
I have a very similar computer, except I have an e8400 lol, thinking of the same question >.>
*Please sign here _____________.*
  1. Boards
  2. PC
  3. Wanting opinions on whether or not it is time to upgrade...

Report Message

Terms of Use Violations:

Etiquette Issues:

Notes (optional; required for "Other"):
Add user to Ignore List after reporting

Topic Sticky

You are not allowed to request a sticky.

• Topic Archived