This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

120Hz monitor for gaming suggestion?

• Topic Archived
You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
  1. Boards
  2. PC
  3. 120Hz monitor for gaming suggestion?

User Info: DarkZV2Beta

DarkZV2Beta
3 years ago#11
Worknofun370 posted...
DarkZV2Beta posted...

I'm pretty sure the panels in those two are identical, and the Asus display can be upgraded for G-Sync with a G-Sync module kit.

Why do you think they're identical? Both are great, but I don't see anything anywhere that says the panels are the same.

If he wants G-Sync though, and is cool with the DIY Kit that ASUS has released. I agree the Asus would be the better choice.

That being said, if he wants G-Sync i'd just wait for an actual G-Sync monitor.

Both are 144hz, they cost the same when they came out, and general consensus is that they're pretty much identical in terms of the LCD it's self.
It's not uncommon for competing brands to buy panels from the same source. And they're both 144hz specifically. Not 143hz, not 145hz, not 140hz, but 144hz.
god invented extension cords. -elchris79

User Info: KamenRiderBlade

KamenRiderBlade
3 years ago#12
http://gaming.eizo.com/products/foris_fg2421/

24" Eizo FORIS FG2421 120 Hz MVA panel

1920 x 1080

From all the reviews I've read about this, the price is reasonable for the quality of panel that you get.

Eizo is really known for super professional monitors used by those who need maximum accuracy / performance, and they've decided to get into gaming monitors.

The color reproduction, the high 120 Hz refresh rate, and the wide viewing angle makes this the closest you're going to get to a high end panel that is 120 Hz.
Are you a MexiCAN or a MexiCAN'T - Johnny Depp 'Once Upon A Time in Mexico'

User Info: KamenRiderBlade

KamenRiderBlade
3 years ago#13
I'd avoid anything that is a TN panel, the color reproduction, viewing angle issues, color shift when you're off viewing angles, is not worth the downgrade in panel quality for high refresh rate, I've already found a panel that is MVA and does a far better job than a TN panel. I would recommend that you go that route.

As far as G-sync is concerned, I wouldn't worry about it until we see the fall out from G-sync and Open Sync and if there will be a new universal standard.
Are you a MexiCAN or a MexiCAN'T - Johnny Depp 'Once Upon A Time in Mexico'

User Info: Worknofun370

Worknofun370
3 years ago#14
DarkZV2Beta posted...

Both are 144hz, they cost the same when they came out, and general consensus is that they're pretty much identical in terms of the LCD it's self.
It's not uncommon for competing brands to buy panels from the same source. And they're both 144hz specifically. Not 143hz, not 145hz, not 140hz, but 144hz.

Ah gotcha, so you're just assuming they're the same because the specs are similar. That's kinda what I was assuming what you were doing, but just seeing if I was missing something obvious out there.

While they may be the same (I personally don't believe they are), just because the specs are similar doesn't mean they are the exact same panel.

User Info: Ruzz9

Ruzz9
3 years ago#15
Hmm, I guess I don't need to wait for Gsync and the only reason I mentioned 120Hz is that I've always had a 60Hz and figured to step up for gaming. Any final suggestions/input?
Steam/XBL/PSN: RichRuzz

User Info: Worknofun370

Worknofun370
3 years ago#16
KamenRiderBlade posted...
I'd avoid anything that is a TN panel, the color reproduction, viewing angle issues, color shift when you're off viewing angles, is not worth the downgrade in panel quality for high refresh rate, I've already found a panel that is MVA and does a far better job than a TN panel. I would recommend that you go that route.

As far as G-sync is concerned, I wouldn't worry about it until we see the fall out from G-sync and Open Sync and if there will be a new universal standard.

How are those monitors for gaming?

He seems to be asking specifically for gaming, and for as long as I can remember nothing comes close to beating a TN there.

User Info: DillMan926

DillMan926
3 years ago#17
DarkZV2Beta posted...
ASUS VG248QE is probably the best 1080p 120hz display on the market right now.

This is what I have. I figured this was something different since it was mentioned at 120 instead of 144.
-Death is certain, Life is not
-Religion emphasizes faith because if people used logic they would see through the crap

User Info: DarkZV2Beta

DarkZV2Beta
3 years ago#18
Worknofun370 posted...
DarkZV2Beta posted...

Ah gotcha, so you're just assuming they're the same because the specs are similar. That's kinda what I was assuming what you were doing, but just seeing if I was missing something obvious out there.

While they may be the same (I personally don't believe they are), just because the specs are similar doesn't mean they are the exact same panel.

It's pretty unlikely that there's a surplus of different 144hz 24inch gaming-calibrated LCD models out there. :>
There's really nothing at all to suggest they're using different panels.
god invented extension cords. -elchris79

User Info: triple s

triple s
3 years ago#19
I'd honestly suggest getting a 1440p monitor. I got a Korean made one (Qnix) and I was easily able to overclock through Nvidia settings to 110hz.
GT:Triple S 06
Steam ID:triples22

User Info: triple s

triple s
3 years ago#20
At that, it's probably cheaper than what you'll find a smaller, lower resolution, lower overall quality TN panel with the only advantage being a higher refresh rate. I went from a 120hz 1080p monitor to a 1440p monitor and even if I had to stick with just 60hz, my 1440p blows my old monitor away.
GT:Triple S 06
Steam ID:triples22
  1. Boards
  2. PC
  3. 120Hz monitor for gaming suggestion?

Report Message

Terms of Use Violations:

Etiquette Issues:

Notes (optional; required for "Other"):
Add user to Ignore List after reporting

Topic Sticky

You are not allowed to request a sticky.

• Topic Archived