This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

$500 build help

• Topic Archived
You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
  1. Boards
  2. PC
  3. $500 build help

User Info: Shub

Shub
3 years ago#11
I had (still have them actually, just not using them) two first-generation 1.5 TB Green drives, they both gave me the same sort of trouble after a while... try to do anything with them and they just behave extremely slowly, e.g. try to copy data from or to them the transfer just sits at 100 KB/s for ages then finally after 10-15 minutes picks up at a normal 50-60 MB/s speed. If you're lucky it'll keep it up, but it may drop back down to abysmal speeds.
At first I had them in RAID 1 and after learning RAID was bad on Greens, I turned them into independent drives but that didn't help as both drives exhibited the problem. I feel like one drive did it more than the other but both definitely did it.

I contacted WD about it, after some discussion they said I should connect them to a supported SATA controller (I had them on a Promise FastTrak TX4650). I checked with Promise and they said it should be OK but I should update the controller's firmware, which I did, but that didn't help.

I connected them directly to my motherboard since they didn't really need to be on the Promise controller, but that didn't help either. At that point I kind of just gave up yet still put up with the issue for a number of years. I had bought the drives in my home country but had moved here (America) so WD USA would only do one RMA a year for my European drives (idiotic since they come out of the same factory in Thailand) and I just didn't feel like dealing with it or RMA'ing to Europe due to the cost of shipping...

Last year I finally replaced them with Reds.

tl;dr I hate Greens and so do many people but YMMV
-What is best in life?
-To crush your enemies, see them driven before you, and to hear the lamentation of the women.
  1. Boards
  2. PC
  3. $500 build help

Report Message

Terms of Use Violations:

Etiquette Issues:

Notes (optional; required for "Other"):
Add user to Ignore List after reporting

Topic Sticky

You are not allowed to request a sticky.

• Topic Archived