This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

$100 limit: What would you upgrade?

• Topic Archived
You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
  1. Boards
  2. PC
  3. $100 limit: What would you upgrade?

User Info: dannyd3554

dannyd3554
3 years ago#1
Built a decent gaming rig this past Christmas instead of buying a Xbox One. Currently looking to spend around $100 on upgrading it. Currently I am able to play Crysis 3 on Med-High settings but the framerate drops every now and then, so I would like to be able to run it smoother.

My Rig is:
MSI z77a-G41 motherboard
CPU: i5-3470 @ 3.20GHz
GPU: Zotac GTX 650ti
PSU:Thermaltake 600w
HDD: WD 1tb 7200 RPM
Ram: 1x 4GB G.SKILL Ripjaw X Series 1866

Think that is everything worth noting. Hope to upgrade before Titanfall comes out. I know 8 gigs of ram is becoming the standard now, so I'm thinking that what I should do next. What do you guys think?
Thanks in advance!

User Info: reincarnator07

reincarnator07
3 years ago#2
The extra RAM might help a little, but there isn't much you can do on that rig for $100. I'd either get some peripherals or just save it for a rainy day.
Fan of metal? Don't mind covers? Check out my youtube and give me some feedback
http://www.youtube.com/sircaballero

User Info: Saber_Dark

Saber_Dark
3 years ago#3
RAM is really the only thing you can upgrade on that and be in under your budget. I don't know that you really need it for a game like Titanfall though. I'd save your money and get a better graphics card later on.

User Info: dannyd3554

dannyd3554
3 years ago#4
Thanks guys. I think what I will do is go ahead and upgrade the ram and then hold off till I can spend a little bit more. Should the GPU be the next big thing to upgrade?

User Info: mlangley2

mlangley2
3 years ago#5
The new GTX 750ti is a great card that's only $149. That being said you really should probably have 8gigs of ram.

User Info: r0ge00

r0ge00
3 years ago#6
mlangley2 posted...
The new GTX 750ti is a great card but it's $149. That being said you really should probably have 8gigs of ram.

When he has a 650 Ti, the 750 Ti is kind of a waste. The 760 might be worth it if he could get a decent price for his 650 Ti.

User Info: Altmadragon

Altmadragon
3 years ago#7
r0ge00 posted...
mlangley2 posted...
The new GTX 750ti is a great card but it's $149. That being said you really should probably have 8gigs of ram.

When he has a 650 Ti, the 750 Ti is kind of a waste. The 760 might be worth it if he could get a decent price for his 650 Ti.

Agreed, 750ti is a downgrade from 650ti outside power consumption.
Merlin SM8| i7-4770k| Asus MaximusViFormula| AsusDC2 780 SLI| 32GB Kingston HyperX Beast| Seagate 3TB HDD| 250GB Samsung Evo| Swiftech 480x2 rads, Acrylic Loop|

User Info: foodeater4

foodeater4
3 years ago#8
Its a good base to work on TC. With a $100 budget as many others have said, the only thing you can upgrade is ram, so that's what I would do now. Then start saving for a new GPU. The GTX 650 is just an entry level card. If you want to turn rig into a beast that will most 95% of current games maxed out upgrade to a GTX 760 or GTX 770 if you want even more powa.

User Info: smelly_boob

smelly_boob
3 years ago#9
if you are willing to reinstall windows maybe a 120 gb samsung evo SSD is worth your money. Newegg has them on sale today i believe for $70 i believe.

otherwise another 4gb ram stick would be less than $50... but that is only worthwhile if you've noticed performance problems that are RAM related

User Info: NGd72

NGd72
3 years ago#10
so you have 1 stick of 4GB RAM atm???
  1. Boards
  2. PC
  3. $100 limit: What would you upgrade?

Report Message

Terms of Use Violations:

Etiquette Issues:

Notes (optional; required for "Other"):
Add user to Ignore List after reporting

Topic Sticky

You are not allowed to request a sticky.

• Topic Archived