This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

windows 8.1 can't shut down.

• Topic Archived
You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
  1. Boards
  2. PC
  3. windows 8.1 can't shut down.

User Info: Jiazhen

Jiazhen
2 years ago#1
I have windows 8.1 with classic shell but when I shut down the computer goes into hibernate mode instead. anyone know of a fix?
Phenom II 925 | GTS250 SLI | Corsair Dominator 8GB | GA-990FXA-UD5 | 840 EVO 250GB | 3TB | HX620 | Carbide 200r

User Info: jelly2008

jelly2008
2 years ago#2
Guess you need to disable the Fast Startup option in the Power settings area. I think it's in the Shutdown button settings at the left of the window.
Intel C2D E7500/ Intel DG41RQ/ CM GX550W Bronze/ ASUS ENGTS450 DirectCU/ 4GB Transcend DDR2-800 RAM/ Seagate 320GB + 1TB HDD/ Hitachi 250GB HDD/ Win 8.1 64-bit

User Info: -5xad0w-

-5xad0w-
2 years ago#3
Ain't no party like a Windows 8 party, 'cause a Windows 8 party don't stop!
"This is a cool way to die!" -Philip J. Fry
KCO222OB|1440 Watts|6 Slice|Timer|Crumb Tray|Is a Toaster Oven

User Info: KidInTheHall

KidInTheHall
2 years ago#4
http://i.imgur.com/iI5BZva.jpg
i5-3570k | ASRock Z77 Extreme6 | EVGA 560Ti 448 Classified x2 SLI | 16GB G.Skill Ares | Samsung 830 128GB | Corsair 600T White | 212 EVO | HX750

Jiazhen
2 years ago#5
Thank you jelly2008, turns out fast startup just means hibernate instead in windows 8 land. Really appreciate it, this has been bugging me all week.
Phenom II 925 | GTS250 SLI | Corsair Dominator 8GB | GA-990FXA-UD5 | 840 EVO 250GB | 3TB | HX620 | Carbide 200r

User Info: DarkLaguna

DarkLaguna
2 years ago#6
Well, there's really no drawbacks to a hibernate instead of a complete shutdown nowdays, unless you need to completely shut everything down for driver/OS installations and such (and Reset in windows 8 does do a complete shutdown and reboot).

Hibernating instead of a complete shutting down significantly decreases boot-up time. If you're really worried about things like memory leaks or you need a complete shutdown for whatever reason, just do Reset instead of Shutdown. Or disable Fast Startup, and go from <10 second boot up times to several times that. =P
I feel a draft on my butt...

Jiazhen
2 years ago#7
hibernating will not reset windows processes which means that useless processes will build up making computers run slower over time.

DarkLaguna
2 years ago#8
Jiazhen posted...
hibernating will not reset windows processes which means that useless processes will build up making computers run slower over time.

That's why you do a restart once a week. Or kill processes yourself. Or if you're extremely lazy, there's a windows update usually once a month or so that forces a restart. =P Besides, Windows 8 is pretty good about not having memory leaks.

I dunno, I just think having nearly instant boots to desktop (the longest part is waiting for BIOS to POST) is worth the trouble of doing a restart once in a while. Your mileage may vary.

User Info: unclee

unclee
2 years ago#9
He's running an SSD though, so boot times really aren't a problem. TBH, I disable hibernation on all my SSD's, simply to regain the space the hibernation file takes up.

DarkLaguna
2 years ago#10
unclee posted...
He's running an SSD though, so boot times really aren't a problem. TBH, I disable hibernation on all my SSD's, simply to regain the space the hibernation file takes up.

Ah, good call. I completely missed that. I can see why you'd want to disable fast boot up in that case. My apologies.
  1. Boards
  2. PC
  3. windows 8.1 can't shut down.

Report Message

Terms of Use Violations:

Etiquette Issues:

Notes (optional; required for "Other"):
Add user to Ignore List after reporting

Topic Sticky

You are not allowed to request a sticky.

• Topic Archived