This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Trying to buy a new modem / router .

• Topic Archived
You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
  1. Boards
  2. PC
  3. Trying to buy a new modem / router .

User Info: 619ROMEO

619ROMEO
3 years ago#1
Took me a year to realize I was renting a modem from Comcast. I'm stupid. So I've decided I'd be stupid to not just own one. How drastic of a performance increase is there between good and poor modems and routers ?

I usually just pick one of the first things that populate on Amazon, and this is what I'm scouting out right now .

http://www.amazon.com/ARRIS-Motorola-SB6121-SURFboard-DOCSIS/dp/B004XC6GJ0/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1393660081&sr=8-1&keywords=Modem

http://www.amazon.com/Medialink-Wireless-N-Broadband-Internal-Antennas/dp/B00A3YN0Z0/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1393660725&sr=8-1&keywords=Router

Money's not a signifcant issue, although I'd prefer it to be under $100 each.

Also a quick sidenote, I just downgraded my internet from performance, to regular, essentially.

My speed went from 56.01mbps/10.46mbps to 28.28 mbps/5.64 mbps . Is it worth a 10$ charge to keep those speeds ?
SD Chargers / LA Lakers

User Info: datopgamer

datopgamer
3 years ago#2
If you are using a docsis 2 modem then getting a docsis 3 modem will net you a decent increase if your speed is high enough. I assume you're paying for 28mbps then you should have a docsis 3 modem. I bought a sb6141 recently and I'm able to max out my connection 50/5. As for the router, I recommend a good dual band router. Just make sure that the modem can handle the speed you are paying for. I'm currently using a rt-n56u and have no issues. Both of those are under $100 each.
Brought to you by GameFlux
Free GameFAQs app on Google Play!
  1. Boards
  2. PC
  3. Trying to buy a new modem / router .

Report Message

Terms of Use Violations:

Etiquette Issues:

Notes (optional; required for "Other"):
Add user to Ignore List after reporting

Topic Sticky

You are not allowed to request a sticky.

• Topic Archived