This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Sound card or really good headphones?

• Topic Archived
You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
  1. Boards
  2. PC
  3. Sound card or really good headphones?

User Info: FlyinTonite

FlyinTonite
3 years ago#1
Which is it. My afterglow headset broke so I'm looking into a replacement option asap.
Sony fanboys are the most annoying, Nintendo fanboys are the most ignorant and Microsoft fanboys are adorable because they think they're people.

User Info: MyDogSkip

MyDogSkip
3 years ago#2
What sort of budget do you have? A sound card won't do much if you don't have nice equipment to push the sound. A decent pair of headphones (<$150) is a great step above the crap most people use, but any higher than that and you'll want a headphone amp to take full advantage of them. Some sound cards have a headphone amp built in. A decent soundcard isn't that expensive, but most people don't need them.
Don't trust the smiling penguin!
http://backloggery.com/mydogskip93

User Info: FlyinTonite

FlyinTonite
3 years ago#3
2-300
Sony fanboys are the most annoying, Nintendo fanboys are the most ignorant and Microsoft fanboys are adorable because they think they're people.

User Info: daemon_dan

daemon_dan
3 years ago#4
FlyinTonite posted...
2-300

If this is the case, either both, or spend around 200 on nice headphones and get a heaphone amp with the rest of your budget instead of a sound card.
"Frightened by your own smell. Bitterness will run you through."
~In Flames: Bullet Ride

User Info: Th1rte3n

Th1rte3n
3 years ago#5
Headphones + external DAC/AMP
i7-920 @ 3.6 // 770 GTX // 12 GB G.Skill Sniper Ram // PS3 // 360
FiiO e9+17 // AD700 + M50 // Deck Legend + 82 // DAS Ultimate S

User Info: MyDogSkip

MyDogSkip
3 years ago#6
Head-fi is usually a much better place to start. Check out the section on mid-range headphones in this article:

http://www.head-fi.org/a/headphone-buying-guide

Your choice will depend somewhat on your preference for open or closed headphones as well as whether you want them to be bass-heavy or not. After selecting a couple that seem good, check out more thorough reviews and see if there are any specific qualities you are looking for.

For example, I have a pair of $100 Creative Aurvana Live! closed headphones that I bought because I read that they were very comfortable and worked well with Dolby Surround (for gaming) as well as music. I'm very happy with them, especially since I got them for $65.

It's always best to try headphones out in person if you can, but a lot of times that isn't really an option. If a pair of headphones is marked with a 2 or 3, it would benefit from an amp, and that's when you'd want to research sound cards some more or look into DACs.
Don't trust the smiling penguin!
http://backloggery.com/mydogskip93

User Info: TheWayOfTheGun

TheWayOfTheGun
3 years ago#7
Apples to Oranges.

Soundcards are internal, headphones are external.

I'd say go with both.
Glorious God Gamers > PC Master Race > Console Peasants ---> http://i2.kym-cdn.com/photos/images/original/000/508/644/9eb.jpg

User Info: r0ge00

r0ge00
3 years ago#8
MyDogSkip posted...
Head-fi is usually a much better place to start. Check out the section on mid-range headphones in this article.

For additional information, check out the two threads below.

www.head-fi.org/t/534479/
www.head-fi.org/t/593050/

Ideally headphones + sound card to start. You could add an amp or even a DAC and amp later down the line if you get some headphones that need it.

User Info: dennis941012

dennis941012
3 years ago#9
Clouddx posted...
+ external DAC/AMP

can't find guide to external DAC/AMP
and good ones go for multiple grand...

User Info: Master_Bass

Master_Bass
3 years ago#10
Clouddx posted...
Headphones + external DAC/AMP

This.
Many Bothans died to bring you this post.
  1. Boards
  2. PC
  3. Sound card or really good headphones?

Report Message

Terms of Use Violations:

Etiquette Issues:

Notes (optional; required for "Other"):
Add user to Ignore List after reporting

Topic Sticky

You are not allowed to request a sticky.

• Topic Archived