This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Any reason not to grab a GTX 660 as an upgrade?

• Topic Archived
You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
  1. Boards
  2. PC
  3. Any reason not to grab a GTX 660 as an upgrade?

User Info: MykeisMayhem

MykeisMayhem
3 years ago#1
I found a pretty nice deal on a GTX 660 for $140 US.

I know the card is almost 2 years old now, but it seems to be the best price to performance ratio in the $150-$200 range. I just got a new (much better) job, so I am just looking for something to upgrade temporarily. I'll probably upgrade much more soon, so I just need a temporary fix for like... a year.

Any reason to go with the gtx 750ti or wait for the R7 265?
Seahawks - Cavaliers - Buckeyes
Paul George OP

MykeisMayhem
3 years ago#2
Anyone have any input?
Paul George OP

User Info: PhilOnDez

PhilOnDez
3 years ago#3
660 will definitely outdo the 750ti. The only reason I'd take the 750ti over the 660 would be if I had to either save the few dollars (not an issue in this case since you're actually getting it cheaper) or if I was upgrading somebody's prebuilt pc that only had a junky 300w OEM PSU.
Every time I try to go where I really wanna be it's already where I am, 'cuz I'm already there
XBL, PSN, Steam, Origin, BSN, GFAQs, MC: PhilOnDez

User Info: Kokuei05

Kokuei05
3 years ago#4
A CPU bottleneck or a bad PSU is a pretty good reason not to.
Xeon x3220 @ 3.3Ghz [367*9] | Hyper 212 EVO | GA-EP45-UD3L | Mushkin 4GB DDR2-800 | EA-430W | 1GB 560 AC Twin Turbo II | WD 500 GB | AL1916W | G400s | HTF600-S
(message deleted)

User Info: maybecalls

maybecalls
3 years ago#6
Atm the GTX 660 and the R9 270 are both quite good value for money imo. Seen them both for 120 recently. $140 sounds good.

User Info: Jocko

Jocko
3 years ago#7
Without knowing anything about the rest of your computer I would say get it. Either way a 660 for $140 is a great deal. Worst case scenario you could probably sell it for a small profit.
The oxygen's leaving my brain!!! --Clucky the Chicken
()===={SWORDSWORDSWORDSWORD> It's my SWORD sword.

MykeisMayhem
3 years ago#8
Thanks for all the responses.

By the way, if anyone is interested, I picked the 660 up for 140 earlier today. Microcenter still has the 660 for $150
Paul George OP

MykeisMayhem
3 years ago#9
Also, this is my build.

http://pcpartpicker.com/p/36C6x

I assume their won't be any issues with bottlenecking due to my CPU or PSU.
Paul George OP

User Info: PhilOnDez

PhilOnDez
3 years ago#10
Nothing major, but it'll depend on the game mostly. Minecraft, Starcraft 2, GTA IV, yeah, the CPU will bottleneck a bit. Witcher 2, modded skyrim, Crysis 3, the GPU will be what's struggling to keep up. Basically as much balance as you could really hope to get.
Every time I try to go where I really wanna be it's already where I am, 'cuz I'm already there
XBL, PSN, Steam, Origin, BSN, GFAQs, MC: PhilOnDez
  1. Boards
  2. PC
  3. Any reason not to grab a GTX 660 as an upgrade?

Report Message

Terms of Use Violations:

Etiquette Issues:

Notes (optional; required for "Other"):
Add user to Ignore List after reporting

Topic Sticky

You are not allowed to request a sticky.

• Topic Archived