This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Upgrading from Windows 7 Home Premium to Windows 8.1 Pro

• Topic Archived
You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
  1. Boards
  2. PC
  3. Upgrading from Windows 7 Home Premium to Windows 8.1 Pro

User Info: AJnol

AJnol
3 years ago#1
So I just built my new computer and installed the 30-day test version of Windows 7 Home Premium on my SSD (I have an SSD + HDD). I'm still waiting for my university to send me the key for Windows 8.1 Pro. When I eventually get it can I upgrade to 8.1 and keep the programs I have installed on the SSD? Is it also safe to assume that the programs installed on the HDD will also work and won't be erased?

User Info: Benjamin_Button

Benjamin_Button
3 years ago#2
FYI windows 7 to windows 8 is a downgrade.
http://i.imgur.com/KNzJR.gif
Macbook Pro Retina i7-3840QM @ 2.8GHz | Nvidia 650m 1GB GDDR5 | 16GB DDR3L Ram | 750GB Flash Storage

User Info: SonyHoundDawg

SonyHoundDawg
3 years ago#3
^
don't listen this troll.

Windows 8 is better in every way.

Yeah you might have to spend a bit of effort learning a few new ways to do a few things, but get over it.

AJnol
3 years ago#4
I'm getting every version of Windows for free anyways so if I don't like it I can always go back so that's not an issue. Could someone answer my question?

User Info: daveyman23

daveyman23
3 years ago#5
there will be a prompt if you want to keep all files, some files, or none at all. Choose all

AJnol
3 years ago#6
daveyman23 posted...
there will be a prompt if you want to keep all files, some files, or none at all. Choose all

Thanks a lot, I hope it works because I really don't feel like re-installing all the programs I have on there.

User Info: jiffypop

jiffypop
3 years ago#7
I have never had good luck with in place upgrades. That being said w8 is much faster than w7. Any issues you experience are a result of vendors not keeping up with the curve.
to be honest know i dont im on the eastcoast i personally have no reason to know the other time zones .... i dont travel or nothing -AnybodyN9NE

User Info: zackisrael1

zackisrael1
3 years ago#8
Don't do it!!!!

User Info: rupok93

rupok93
3 years ago#9
windows 8.1 is way better than windows 7 in every way. The start menu is the only difference but it much improved in 8.1 than 8 and you get used to it very quickly. Boot times are way faster and game minimum fps is much higher which makes a big difference. You can't go back to win 7 after how fast 8.1 is. Everyone saying otherwise never tried it.
  1. Boards
  2. PC
  3. Upgrading from Windows 7 Home Premium to Windows 8.1 Pro

Report Message

Terms of Use Violations:

Etiquette Issues:

Notes (optional; required for "Other"):
Add user to Ignore List after reporting

Topic Sticky

You are not allowed to request a sticky.

• Topic Archived