This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Looking for help with a video card upgrade.

• Topic Archived
You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
  1. Boards
  2. PC
  3. Looking for help with a video card upgrade.

User Info: sentry76

sentry76
3 years ago#1
Computer specs are

Motherboard- Gigabyte GA-MA79DGPT-UD3H
CPU- AMD Athlon II X2 250 3.0 ghz
RAM- 8 GB
Windows 7 64bit
Video Card- ATI Radeon HD 5750

Budget is 200$ looking for the best video card upgrade I can get around this price. Thanks for any help and suggestions.

User Info: Lonestar2000

Lonestar2000
3 years ago#2
http://pcpartpicker.com/part/asus-video-card-gtx660dc2o2gd5
Rumble Roses. Someone enters the room.
Them: O_O Me: What?! I always play games without my pants on!- Inmate 922335

sentry76
3 years ago#3
Will the video card you linked work with my motherboard as the card says its pci-e 3.0, but the motherboard specs say pci-e 2.0?

User Info: MaxCHEATER64

MaxCHEATER64
3 years ago#4
sentry76 posted...
Will the video card you linked work with my motherboard as the card says its pci-e 3.0, but the motherboard specs say pci-e 2.0?

PCI-E 3.0 offers almost no improvement over PCI-E 2.0 for graphics cards. 99.9% of 3.0 GPUs are backwards compatible. You're fine.
i5-3570K @ 4.6 GHz | HD IceQ X 7850 | Z77-D3H | 700W | Intel 550 180GB | Seagate Barracuda 1T | Seagate XTD 2T + 16GB SSHD | 2x8 GB RAM

User Info: godplaysSNES

godplaysSNES
3 years ago#5
What are you looking to play? For modern games, that Athlon II X2 is a much bigger problem than the HD 5750
Super Mario Kart is the single best Mario Kart ever!

sentry76
3 years ago#6
Mostly wanting to play newer games like assassin's creed series and Bioshock Infinite. I didn't know the cpu could maybe be the problem but I get low fps on newer games and have to turn settings down usually quite far to make it playable..

User Info: Dragnfyr

Dragnfyr
3 years ago#7
Yeah your current graphics card is pretty much the best you should get with a CPU that low end. See if your motherboard can support a newer AMD CPU. If not then you're going to need to spend more and upgrade the motherboard along with the CPU and GPU.
15.4" Retina MacBook Pro (Mid 2012) | Node 304 mITX | Gigabyte Z87N-WIFI | Intel Core i5-4670K | Asus GTX 760 | Corsair 1x8GB | EVGA 600W | 120+64GB SSDs

sentry76
3 years ago#8
Ok what should i look for to see what kind of cpu the motherboard takes? Link for the motherboard http://www.gigabyte.us/products/product-page.aspx?pid=3143#ov

I have replaced a cpu before but I have no idea what kind to look at. Any suggestions?
(message deleted)

User Info: DriveBy5173

DriveBy5173
3 years ago#10
Scratch that, just saw that the am3+ wont work on an am3 board sorry =(
  1. Boards
  2. PC
  3. Looking for help with a video card upgrade.

Report Message

Terms of Use Violations:

Etiquette Issues:

Notes (optional; required for "Other"):
Add user to Ignore List after reporting

Topic Sticky

You are not allowed to request a sticky.

• Topic Archived