This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

So I bought Final Fantasy VIII because it was on sale on Amazon...

• Topic Archived
You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
  1. Boards
  2. PC
  3. So I bought Final Fantasy VIII because it was on sale on Amazon...

User Info: ajxh

ajxh
3 years ago#31
I know it's been said already, but I like to talk.

Final Fantasies I-VII were all pretty much identical, with some refinements to the formula. Final Fantasy VIII overhauled much of that. What I think Squaresoft really wanted to do was switch up level grinding. The Junction system worked well for that, but it was also easy to abuse and a lot of people just ended up Draw grinding. I guess it was pretty divisive.

While I ultimately prefer VII (and IV, VI, X, and XII) over VIII, it's still a unique piece and a worthwhile playthrough, if only for Triple Triad. Haha.

User Info: Covenant

Covenant
3 years ago#32
Loserman15 posted...
If you have it on PC, Roses and Wine is an absolute must.

This.

The PC version's soundtrack should be classified as a war crime.

User Info: Requiem

Requiem
3 years ago#33
Personally, I hated the story of FF8 and "plot twists" / justification for the revelations.

In terms of gameplay... I disliked how the junction system discouraged the player from using magic (as it would make the characters weaker). And I can't be the only guy who really hated not being able to skip through the summoning spell "cinematic" sequence. I think the longer ones took over 2 minutes.
Copyright free literature available at http://www.gutenberg.org/wiki/Main_Page... otherwise known as Tex-Mex

User Info: Slayn

Slayn
3 years ago#34
Requiem posted...
Personally, I hated the story of FF8 and "plot twists" / justification for the revelations.

In terms of gameplay... I disliked how the junction system discouraged the player from using magic (as it would make the characters weaker). And I can't be the only guy who really hated not being able to skip through the summoning spell "cinematic" sequence. I think the longer ones took over 2 minutes.

This is exactly why I hate it. The most... idiotic "plot twists" of all time. Even as a teenager when it came out, it was so terrible it made me face palm. And then I didn't like the draw/junction/triad deal.

Also I know someone above said they liked Squall. I thought he was absolutely terrible. Just hated everything about him. He is a jerk 90% of the game, and yet all the characters love him when in reality they would have all said "screw this guy" 3 hours in to the adventure.
You can spend $400 on a console and $400 on a cheap PC, or you can spend $800 to build your own and have the best of both worlds.
  1. Boards
  2. PC
  3. So I bought Final Fantasy VIII because it was on sale on Amazon...

Report Message

Terms of Use Violations:

Etiquette Issues:

Notes (optional; required for "Other"):
Add user to Ignore List after reporting

Topic Sticky

You are not allowed to request a sticky.

• Topic Archived