This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Thinking about upgrading to 1440p monitor.

• Topic Archived
You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
  1. Boards
  2. PC
  3. Thinking about upgrading to 1440p monitor.

User Info: Xemnas999

Xemnas999
3 years ago#1
Hey PCH, I currently have a single 1080p monitor set-up, but I wanted to get a second monitor for multitasking purposes, and so I decided that it might be worth getting a higher resolution monitor, I only have a few concerns.

I have a 280X ( http://www.pccasegear.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=193_1559&products_id=25332 )

And from benchmarks I think the performance is pretty good at 1440p, I don't mind turning down a few settings here and there to get a good framerate, especially since I mainly play Dota 2, which I should still easily max. My question is, will the DVI-I port on my 280X work with the DVI-D port on the 1440p monitor?

Secondly, if I wanted to run a game at 1080p, is there any bad upscaling?
Laptop - i7 2670QM | 8GB DDR3 RAM | GT 540M 2GB
Desktop - i5 4670K | 8GB DDR3 RAM | R9 280X 3GB

User Info: Slayn

Slayn
3 years ago#2
DVI-I is integrated, should be no issue there. You're looking at about 40-50 FPS for most modern games at high/ultra ( http://www.anandtech.com/show/7400/the-radeon-r9-280x-review-feat-asus-xfx/9 ), should be fine. I think the difference between high and ultra in most games is negligible, and you don't need high AA, 2-4x is fine with that high a resolution.

Doing 1080p is usually not that good though, depending on the monitor. I find almost all games run at 1440p, even old games. I ran the original Assassin's Creed which is 7 years old and it looked surprisingly good. Most older games can run 1440p if they support widescreen resolutions at all. I find 1440p low > 1080p medium.
You can spend $400 on a console and $400 on a cheap PC, or you can spend $800 to build your own and have the best of both worlds.
  1. Boards
  2. PC
  3. Thinking about upgrading to 1440p monitor.

Report Message

Terms of Use Violations:

Etiquette Issues:

Notes (optional; required for "Other"):
Add user to Ignore List after reporting

Topic Sticky

You are not allowed to request a sticky.

• Topic Archived