This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Games keep crashing... not sure what it could be?

• Topic Archived
You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
  1. Boards
  2. PC
  3. Games keep crashing... not sure what it could be?

User Info: phudabulah

phudabulah
3 years ago#1
Hello,
So whenever I play games they keep crashing. Doesn't seem to matter what game, I've tried Torchlight 2, Starcraft 2, League of Legends, Team Fortress 2 and they all have been crashing. When LoL crashed it actually went Blue Screen and my computer restarted on its own.

My computer is almost 5 years old...

Specs:
GPU - Radeon HD4890
RAM 8 gigs
Mobo - ASUS M4A785TD
CPU - AMD Phenom II X4 945 3.0GHz Quad Core
650W PSU

I tried using CoreTemp, but it says the temps are all 0 :/ not sure why it says that... I've also run MSE, MalwareBytes and Spybot and nothing came up. Any ideas where to start?
No one cared who I was till I put on the mask...

User Info: Slayn

Slayn
3 years ago#2
Update video card drivers.
You can spend $400 on a console and $400 on a cheap PC, or you can spend $800 to build your own and have the best of both worlds.

User Info: godplaysSNES

godplaysSNES
3 years ago#3
Are you experiencing performance problems, or visual glitches prior to the crashes?
Super Mario Kart is the single best Mario Kart ever!

User Info: codyorr

codyorr
3 years ago#4
Graphics card failing?

phudabulah
3 years ago#5
Oh yeah I forgot to mention the drivers are updated...

No not any performance issues I can think of. My screen will just go black for a few seconds and crash to the desktop, or in LoL's case it completely restarted.

User Info: JKatarn

JKatarn
3 years ago#6
phudabulah posted...
Oh yeah I forgot to mention the drivers are updated...

No not any performance issues I can think of. My screen will just go black for a few seconds and crash to the desktop, or in LoL's case it completely restarted.

Have you tried running MemTest86 to check your RAM? Corrupted/unstable RAM could cause problems like this. That, or it's a power supply issue.
Asus P8Z68-V LE | Core i7 2600K | 8GB G.Skill Ripjaws DDR3 | Gigabyte GeForce GTX 660 Windforce OC
PS3 | PS2 | PSP| Wii | 3DS | DS | X-Box 360 | X-Box | NES

phudabulah
3 years ago#7
I'll try that right now thanks!

Also, I was just playing StarCraft 2 and it *nearly* crashed, it completely froze for ~10 seconds then went black and then some weird fuzzy tv-staticesque appeared on my screen. But it then resumed playing as normal.

User Info: JKatarn

JKatarn
3 years ago#8
phudabulah posted...
I'll try that right now thanks!

Also, I was just playing StarCraft 2 and it *nearly* crashed, it completely froze for ~10 seconds then went black and then some weird fuzzy tv-staticesque appeared on my screen. But it then resumed playing as normal.

That's not good....sounds like a hardware/driver issue. If the MemTest comes up clean, I would download the "Unigine Valley" benchmark, running it at ultra settings to really stress your card and monitor your temps (the benchmark displays FPS/GPU temp) as you let it run for at least a few hours. If your temps are fine, you see no corruption have no crashes than it's not a GPU issue.
Asus P8Z68-V LE | Core i7 2600K | 8GB G.Skill Ripjaws DDR3 | Gigabyte GeForce GTX 660 Windforce OC
PS3 | PS2 | PSP| Wii | 3DS | DS | X-Box 360 | X-Box | NES

phudabulah
3 years ago#9
Yeah the MemTest86 said no errors... I'm downloading the Unigine Valley benchmark right now, but with my internet this could take a while.

Also about the drivers, it's kind of confusing. When I go into Control Panel-->Device Manager-->right click on my GPU, it says my drivers are all up to date with year of 2011.

However when I downloaded them from AMD's website the website says it's from 2013. Is my computer confused about the drivers maybe?

phudabulah
3 years ago#10
I'm running Unigine Valley on ultra settings and the GPU temp is hovering around 82 Celsius. I'm guessing that's a little high? FPS is around 12-15 lol...
  1. Boards
  2. PC
  3. Games keep crashing... not sure what it could be?

Report Message

Terms of Use Violations:

Etiquette Issues:

Notes (optional; required for "Other"):
Add user to Ignore List after reporting

Topic Sticky

You are not allowed to request a sticky.

• Topic Archived