This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

What are some possible uses for an SSD RAID setup?

• Topic Archived
You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
  1. Boards
  2. PC
  3. What are some possible uses for an SSD RAID setup?

User Info: CardigansFan

CardigansFan
3 years ago#1
I'm looking at a laptop that happens to have two mSATA ports, and I'm thinking of putting these two 240GB drive's in RAID 0 with how stupid cheap they are:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820226321

But in looking for a hard drive for storage, I found this:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16822236642

So now I'm considering OS+storage on the latter WD drive, and a RAID 0 SSD setup...for...what? >.> I'll be getting into video editing, and I've heard a SSD RAID 0 setup could help speed things up - how true is that?

EDIT: I'm also seeing mention of using one SSD exclusively for cache/database files within Adobe suite programs - is that I good idea? Now I'm thinking 120GB boot/game drive, 240GB mSATA for current/editing files, 240GB mSATA for cache/database, and 1TB for storage.
1993 Saturn SL2 * Nexus 5 * Excite 7.7 * NX300
Slowly getting active on DeviantArt and YouTube...

User Info: Mogu_Mogu

Mogu_Mogu
3 years ago#2
I run two SSDs in RAID0 and it doesn't help my bootup time that I've noticed from when I was only doing one.

What it has helped me in that I've noticed is
-Loading League of Legends (still doesn't help that I have to wait for everyone else).
-Loading Diablo 3.

And that's about it, really. Everything else that I do I don't notice a speed increase at all but then again, I was never really benchmarking anything and these are just how I feel about it.
In the chronicles of my life
there is a legend in which I change 'history' into 'herstory'.
  1. Boards
  2. PC
  3. What are some possible uses for an SSD RAID setup?

Report Message

Terms of Use Violations:

Etiquette Issues:

Notes (optional; required for "Other"):
Add user to Ignore List after reporting

Topic Sticky

You are not allowed to request a sticky.

• Topic Archived