This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

I see so many people build their gaming PC like this

• Topic Archived
You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
  1. Boards
  2. PC
  3. I see so many people build their gaming PC like this

User Info: Koala262

Koala262
3 years ago#1
i7 4770k
16gb DDR3 2400
GTX650

I could understand if you're using your PC more for CPU and RAM intensive tasks, but when you build a PC for solely gaming, that expensive processor and RAM won't compensate for your $100 graphics card.
----
---

User Info: maybecalls

maybecalls
3 years ago#2
Never seen that particular build before.

User Info: Koala262

Koala262
3 years ago#3
That's surprising. And I don't mean that exact build, just a build that drops a ton of money into CPU and RAM and goes with a cheap video card.
----
---

User Info: Dragnfyr

Dragnfyr
3 years ago#4
Generally most people on this board don't do that.
15.4" Retina MacBook Pro (Mid 2012) | Node 304 mITX | Gigabyte Z87N-WIFI | Intel Core i5-4670K | Asus GTX 760 | Corsair 1x8GB | EVGA 600W | 120+64GB SSDs

User Info: steelix55

steelix55
3 years ago#5
Most people that do that, do it for budgetary reasons with intentions on selling their card back in a couple of months and going with a big upgrade. When I built my PC in my sig, I went with a 560 Ti to cut costs, and then saved up a little more money and upgraded when the 780 came out.
i5 2500k @ 4.4GHz || 212 EVO || GTX 780 || Vengeance 16GB RAM || 1TB HDD || ASRock Z68 E3G3 MB || Corsair TX750 PSU || 12X BD-ROM || Win7 x64

User Info: PhilOnDez

PhilOnDez
3 years ago#6
Not counting the majority of reasonably balanced builds that are recommended/posted-for-critique the most common thing I see is FX6300/770-or-290 builds. That's not the worst possible balance but excluding the prebuilts (which are actually usually worse, 4770, 16 gigs of ram, and a gt 620/640) I've only seen a build similar to your hypothetical build posted once and they had pretty much the same reasoning behind it as you posted, photo editing.

E: actually, I don't think I've ever seen anyone got with 2400mhz ram. I've seen a few people go with 2100mhz but oftentimes that really isn't any more expensive than 1600.
Every time I try to go where I really wanna be it's already where I am, 'cuz I'm already there
XBL, PSN, Steam, Origin, BSN, GFAQs, MC: PhilOnDez

User Info: DerPancake

DerPancake
3 years ago#7
sounds more like an expensive prebuild.
http://i.imgur.com/mng6Lqf.jpg
http://tinyurl.com/mxvh3ut - Taylor Swift: Queen of Pop.

User Info: Snadados

Snadados
3 years ago#8
DerPancake posted...
sounds more like an expensive prebuild.

Yeah, this is something I see often from a prebuilt "gaming" PC.
Have you accepted Raspberyl as your loli and savior?

User Info: killkount

killkount
3 years ago#9
steelix55 posted...
Most people that do that, do it for budgetary reasons with intentions on selling their card back in a couple of months and going with a big upgrade. When I built my PC in my sig, I went with a 560 Ti to cut costs, and then saved up a little more money and upgraded when the 780 came out.

But you were still a shining example of what the TC was talking about.
http://i.imgur.com/XqIF7rn.gif

User Info: PhilOnDez

PhilOnDez
3 years ago#10
560ti+2500k isn't unbalanced though, a 2500k would have been $220 and the 560ti would have been $250. That's well within the range I usually recommend, spending 10-30% more on the gpu than the CPU.
Every time I try to go where I really wanna be it's already where I am, 'cuz I'm already there
XBL, PSN, Steam, Origin, BSN, GFAQs, MC: PhilOnDez
  1. Boards
  2. PC
  3. I see so many people build their gaming PC like this

Report Message

Terms of Use Violations:

Etiquette Issues:

Notes (optional; required for "Other"):
Add user to Ignore List after reporting

Topic Sticky

You are not allowed to request a sticky.

• Topic Archived