This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

not sure if hard drive is dead or corrupted

• Topic Archived
You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
  1. Boards
  2. PC
  3. not sure if hard drive is dead or corrupted

User Info: kickthegnome

kickthegnome
3 years ago#1
I just put a laptop back together but I'm getting an error. The first time I booted it It booted to the windows splash screen and just never loaded. Now whenever I boot it I see the bios splash screen and then after the splash screen the computer seems to freeze up and not do anything.

If i get it to system diagnosis and run start up desks, hard disk tests, etc. They all fail because of the hard drive. I believe the error I'm getting is an fx30 error (or f3xo).

Is the hd dead, or just corrupted.

User Info: Knifegash

Knifegash
3 years ago#2
Try repairing your MBR

If that fails you could have corrupt/unreadable sectors, in which case yeah replace the HDD
Isn't that right, Zach?
http://tinyurl.com/5vsjbj6

User Info: betatech

betatech
3 years ago#3
If you can, try running the HDD makers utility I know at least seagate make a bootable version or chkdsk from the windows installer.

If it is the MBR then I believe you use the Bootsect command for it, at least that's what I used when I had the blinking cursor issue.

Or if you want to isolate any chance it could be the laptop itself you could also try testing it on a different system to make sure it isn't the laptop that's faulty using either as a slave or by running from a bootdisc e.g. the windows 7 installer.
Asus P8Z77-V Pro, Intel i7 3770K 3.5Ghz, 8GB RAM, Ati Radeon 5770 1GB, CM 690 II. Win7 x64.

User Info: JKatarn

JKatarn
3 years ago#4
Knifegash posted...
Try repairing your MBR

If that fails you could have corrupt/unreadable sectors, in which case yeah replace the HDD

Unless you have a TON of corrupt/unreadable sectors you shouldn't need to replace the HD if there's mechanically nothing wrong with it - scandisk/other HD utilities will simply mark those sectors as unusable.
Asus P8Z68-V LE | Core i7 2600K | 8GB G.Skill Ripjaws DDR3 | Gigabyte GeForce GTX 660 Windforce OC
PS3 | PS2 | PSP| Wii | 3DS | DS | X-Box 360 | X-Box | NES

User Info: kickthegnome

kickthegnome
3 years ago#5
how do I get it to go to where I need to repair the mbr?

I assume a bootable disk so i can access command prompt

User Info: Lonestar2000

Lonestar2000
3 years ago#6
kickthegnome posted...
how do I get it to go to where I need to repair the mbr?

I assume a bootable disk so i can access command prompt

Boot off of your windows install disk.
Rumble Roses. Someone enters the room.
Them: O_O Me: What?! I always play games without my pants on!- Inmate 922335
  1. Boards
  2. PC
  3. not sure if hard drive is dead or corrupted

Report Message

Terms of Use Violations:

Etiquette Issues:

Notes (optional; required for "Other"):
Add user to Ignore List after reporting

Topic Sticky

You are not allowed to request a sticky.

• Topic Archived