This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Starting to regret my upgrade, yet don't even have the parts sent!

• Topic Archived
You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
  1. Boards
  2. PC
  3. Starting to regret my upgrade, yet don't even have the parts sent!

User Info: BeatItUpRight

BeatItUpRight
3 years ago#1
I currently have a q6600 OC to 3.2ghz and a 7870.

I really wanted to play Watch Dogs, yet couldn't justify the price of adding an extra 4gb of ddr2, let alone it needs a good CPU, so decided to just wait a good while, yet I happened to win some money... all £160 of it.

Suddenly, I have bought an i7 2600k and Asrock Z75 for £170... still need the ram but will pick some up under £50. Yet I have a nagging feeling that I probably shouldn't of.

Arg... it was just too cheap to turn down!... but dunno if I will really appreciate it...
Intel Pentium Pro @155mhz - 2MB 3dfx Voodoo Graphics - 4x 16MB SIMM ram - 32k Modem - Windows 98

User Info: maybecalls

maybecalls
3 years ago#2
Buyer's remorse. A lot of people suffer from it (including me). That CPU and motherboard are bargains for that price, though, and a hefty upgrade for you. I would just concentrate with putting the new system together as soon as possible.
i5-2500 / 8GB RAM / GTX 460 1GB / 550w PSU

BeatItUpRight
3 years ago#3
They are fantastic prices, but I feel like I am slipping into the path of upgrading all the time for the sake of it, which is something I consciously didn't want to do.

I'm not as bad as some, needing 60fps and AA maxed out, but man, it hits you that you have just dropped a ton of money.
Intel Pentium Pro @155mhz - 2MB 3dfx Voodoo Graphics - 4x 16MB SIMM ram - 32k Modem - Windows 98

User Info: halomonkey1_3_5

halomonkey1_3_5
3 years ago#4
assuming you've had that q6600 since it was current, that would put your last CPU upgrade nearly SEVEN years ago.
I dont think you're going to slip into the constant treadmill of upgrades from upgrading once in seven years >.>
Billy Mays: July 20, 1958 - June 28, 2009
The Greatest

maybecalls
3 years ago#5
You're getting a CPU which is almost as good as it's current Intel equivalent + a decent motherboard + RAM for less than the price of new i7.

Once you've built the thing and put it to use, you'll forget about all this guilt stuff.

maybecalls
3 years ago#6
Btw, I've just spent £42 on a second hard drive, and I'm suffering from buyer's remorse a bit, too. I haven't taken it out of it's packaging yet. I have 21 days to think about it.

User Info: TiamatKiller

TiamatKiller
3 years ago#7
halomonkey1_3_5 posted...
assuming you've had that q6600 since it was current, that would put your last CPU upgrade nearly SEVEN years ago.
I dont think you're going to slip into the constant treadmill of upgrades from upgrading once in seven years >.>

This lol
i5-3570k @3.4GHZ | GTX 560Ti (2GB) @930MHz | Asus P8Z77-V Pro | Samsung 840 (250GB) | 1TB Seagate 7200rpm | 8GB RAM | Zalman 9900 MAX | CoolerMaster HAF 912

User Info: Cilym

Cilym
3 years ago#8
Life is too short for regrets. Instead of spending time feeling bad about this, feel bad about s*** that actually matters.
i called myself uberhipster before, try harder. - Ningishzida
You a straight up buster TC (Super_Thug44).- KidInTheHall

User Info: WilIDearborn

WilIDearborn
3 years ago#9
The Q6600 is pretty old, man. It's not like you're going from a 3570K to a 4670K or something. It's a substantial increase.
May thine...strength...help the world be mended
http://i.imgur.com/HdBP0.jpg

BeatItUpRight
3 years ago#10
halomonkey1_3_5 posted...

I got the q6600 I believe two years ago, was dirt cheap and overclocked enough to not be a problem, but games like Far Cry 3 and Sleeping Dogs I have been extremely CPU limited, ACIII was the worst as at Boston it was impossible for me to get more than 15fps, AC Black Flag did a better job however.

This is just the first time I've thrown some real cash into it, I was always gaming on the cheap.
  1. Boards
  2. PC
  3. Starting to regret my upgrade, yet don't even have the parts sent!

Report Message

Terms of Use Violations:

Etiquette Issues:

Notes (optional; required for "Other"):
Add user to Ignore List after reporting

Topic Sticky

You are not allowed to request a sticky.

• Topic Archived