This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Extra $20-$30.. worth it?

• Topic Archived
You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
  1. Boards
  2. PC
  3. Extra $20-$30.. worth it?

User Info: mrtywer

mrtywer
3 years ago#1
I've started a new build for an upgrade to my current rig - The only parts I need right now are a SATA Optical drive (very low on my priority list), RAM and a CPU. I have my CPU choices down to the high-end i5's available, the 4670 and the 4670k.

My question is this: Is the unlocked version worth the extra $20-$30 if I don't plan on overclocking anytime soon? The quad-core is already going to be a huge upgrade to my current machine (see sig for specs) and I already have a decent mid-level gpu, so I plan on just running at stock speeds for a significant portion of time before I'd ever consider overclocking. Is it worth it? Or should I save the money, and just get a new processor a few years down the road, when this thing starts to get underpowered for current systems?
Current rig: ASUS p5q pro-turbo - 4g DDR2 RAM - Intel Core-2 Duo E8400 @ 3.0 ghz - Sapphire Radeon R7 260x, $200. Hey, it's better than smacking rocks together.

User Info: Lucavi000

Lucavi000
3 years ago#2
Soon means you will in the future so you might as well get the K version.

mrtywer
3 years ago#3
Lucavi000 posted...
Soon means you will in the future so you might as well get the K version.

Even though it might be a few years down the road?
Current rig: ASUS p5q pro-turbo - 4g DDR2 RAM - Intel Core-2 Duo E8400 @ 3.0 ghz - Sapphire Radeon R7 260x, $200. Hey, it's better than smacking rocks together.

User Info: Psythik

Psythik
3 years ago#4
How long is "a few years"? If it's more than three, don't even bother with a K CPU.
4670K OC | 2GB PNY GTX 770 OC | 8GB 1600 | 120GB SSD | 1TB WD Blue | Gigabyte Z87MX | EVGA 600w | BitFenix Phenom M | Win8.1 Pro
http://imgur.com/KaTyP5o.jpg

mrtywer
3 years ago#5
Psythik posted...
How long is "a few years"? If it's more than three, don't even bother with a K CPU.

I was thinking, probably minimum 2 years, perhaps longer. If that's the case, I think I'll just save the $30 and get the non-unlocked version. Like I said, it's already a massive upgrade to my current setup, and I don't overclock /now/, either.

User Info: -5xad0w-

-5xad0w-
3 years ago#6
For only $30?

Yeah.

Unless that $30 could be put somewhere else in your build to make an intimidate impact.
"This is a cool way to die!" -Philip J. Fry
KCO222OB|1440 Watts|6 Slice|Timer|Crumb Tray|Is a Toaster Oven

User Info: castrejon04

castrejon04
3 years ago#7
You could just overclock now with the K version and have it run at a much faster speed.
"Don't let it end like this...Tell them I said something." Pancho Villa

User Info: Psythik

Psythik
3 years ago#8
mrtywer posted...
Psythik posted...

I was thinking, probably minimum 2 years, perhaps longer. If that's the case, I think I'll just save the $30 and get the non-unlocked version. Like I said, it's already a massive upgrade to my current setup, and I don't overclock /now/, either.
You're actually saving more than $30 because now you can get a cheaper B87 or H87 motherboard instead of a Z87.
4670K OC | 2GB PNY GTX 770 OC | 8GB 1600 | 120GB SSD | 1TB WD Blue | Gigabyte Z87MX | EVGA 600w | BitFenix Phenom M | Win8.1 Pro
http://imgur.com/KaTyP5o.jpg

mrtywer
3 years ago#9
Psythik posted...
mrtywer posted...
Psythik posted...

You're actually saving more than $30 because now you can get a cheaper B87 or H87 motherboard instead of a Z87.

I just ordered an h87 board, and the price difference off a z87 gave me a huge happy face.
  1. Boards
  2. PC
  3. Extra $20-$30.. worth it?

Report Message

Terms of Use Violations:

Etiquette Issues:

Notes (optional; required for "Other"):
Add user to Ignore List after reporting

Topic Sticky

You are not allowed to request a sticky.

• Topic Archived