This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

What do you guys think re: i5 vs i7?

• Topic Archived
You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
  1. Boards
  2. PC
  3. What do you guys think re: i5 vs i7?

User Info: Mr Bump

Mr Bump
3 years ago#1
Tom's Hardware, who I have a fair bit of respect for, think that a i5 4670k is all I really need in my new gaming PC, but do you lot think the i7 4770k is worth the extra bump in price? What games coming up will support hyper threading? I would like whatever processor I buy to last me for a good few years and not be dragging it's feet after 6 months...
My games room: http://imgur.com/a/CA2yz XBL: Mister Bump PSN: Mr_BumpNZ
Yes, I have a 4 digit User ID and a space in my name. Yes I'm that old. >_<

User Info: CultCryptik

CultCryptik
3 years ago#2
No reason not to get an i7 unless you're poor

User Info: PraetorXyn

PraetorXyn
3 years ago#3
The i7 is more future proof. Since the "next gen" consoles have terrible single-threaded performance but 8 logical cores, I'd expect games to finally start taking advantage of more than 4 cores.

It really probably wouldn't matter much though except in certain games.
Console war in a nutshell:
http://imgur.com/xA6GJZ9.png

User Info: Shub

Shub
3 years ago#4
As an i7-4770K owner, I will tell you that Hyper-Threading has been around for a decade and it has yet to be of much use in all but a few games, so I wouldn't hold my breath... I strongly doubt that you'll have any issues with anything 6 months or a year or two years down the line because you got an i5-4670K.
-What is best in life?
-To crush your enemies, see them driven before you, and to hear the lamentation of the women.

User Info: Xeeh_Bitz

Xeeh_Bitz
3 years ago#5
Get the i7, the advantages it has in some production applications and some of the games that actually use the extra threads makes the $100 difference worth it.
3770K | 780 Ti x 2
Steam: Xeeh Origin: TurboPeasant

User Info: CELTEKK

CELTEKK
3 years ago#6
i7. the pinnacle of consumer computing.
psn:celtekk|steam:celtekk
3770k@4.8

User Info: godplaysSNES

godplaysSNES
3 years ago#7
If you intend to use that PC for as long as possible, go with the i7. CPUs are a chore to upgrade (new mobo + CPU, possibly DDR4 too in the future), and old CPUs using the same socket don't really get cheaper down the line.

Crysis 3 is a game shown to benefit noticeably on an i7. As another poster said, it's very likely that games will become more multithreaded with the PS4/Xbone having six cores available for gaming.
Super Mario Kart is the single best Mario Kart ever!

User Info: Dragnfyr

Dragnfyr
3 years ago#8
Stick with i5.
15.4" Retina MacBook Pro (Mid 2012) | Node 304 mITX | Gigabyte Z87N-WIFI | Intel Core i5-4670K | Asus GTX 760 | Corsair 1x8GB | EVGA 600W | 120+64GB SSDs

User Info: JKatarn

JKatarn
3 years ago#9
CultCryptik posted...

That's an idiotic statement, let me give you an example: "Well, this 40K car costs twice as much as the 20K car but only offers 5% more MPG, 3 new features, I'm not poor, I mine as well buy the 40K car!" This is obviously an extreme example, but most people (with fiduciary sense that is) want to get the most out of their money/not be in credit card debt/have piss-poor credit the rest of their lives.
Asus P8Z68-V LE | Core i7 2600K | 8GB G.Skill Ripjaws DDR3 | Gigabyte GeForce GTX 660 Windforce OC
PS3 | PS2 | PSP| Wii | 3DS | DS | X-Box 360 | X-Box | NES

User Info: hungry_zealot

hungry_zealot
3 years ago#10
JKatarn posted...
CultCryptik posted...

That's an idiotic statement, let me give you an example: "Well, this 40K car costs twice as much as the 20K car but only offers 5% more MPG, 3 new features, I'm not poor, I mine as well buy the 40K car!" This is obviously an extreme example, but most people (with fiduciary sense that is) want to get the most out of their money/not be in credit card debt/have piss-poor credit the rest of their lives.

To be fair, if $100 extra on a processor is going to send you spiraling into deep credit card debt for the rest of your life, you probably don't need to build a new desktop in the first place and have other problems to worry about first.
  1. Boards
  2. PC
  3. What do you guys think re: i5 vs i7?

Report Message

Terms of Use Violations:

Etiquette Issues:

Notes (optional; required for "Other"):
Add user to Ignore List after reporting

Topic Sticky

You are not allowed to request a sticky.

• Topic Archived