This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Slight problem with installing Windows 7. (Help)

• Topic Archived
You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
  1. Boards
  2. PC
  3. Slight problem with installing Windows 7. (Help)

User Info: Town_Drunkard

Town_Drunkard
2 years ago#1
Long story short, I needed to install Windows 7. I got the Windows 7 cd and when I clicked install, it got hung up at the "Setup is starting..." screen for hours. Thinking that the cd might of been damaged, I switched to usb flash and the same thing is happening. I disabled everything in the BIOS except for the usb device and I know I don't have any bad clusters on the hard drive because I had Windows 8.1 installed on this laptop a few days ago and it worked fine.

Does anyone have any suggestions? You would have my absolute and undying gratitude for eternity.
FC: 0877 1313 2940
I'm game name: Dustin
If you're just trying to install Win7 over a Win8 drive, try zeroing out the drive beforehand. 7 might be getting hung up on something in 8.
"Jon Jones and Bendo just slaying mother f***ers in the name of the lord" -- MICHALECOLE

User Info: Knifegash

Knifegash
2 years ago#3
Yep, when choosing a partition to install to, be sure to format everything on the disc
Isn't that right, Zach?
http://tinyurl.com/5vsjbj6

Town_Drunkard
2 years ago#4
Hey, sorry for the late response but is there a way to delete the Windows 8 partition? I think that's what you mean by zeroing it out. I installed a friend's Windows 8 with his key just to see if the laptop still worked so I am unable to go into it and delete it with that route. Thank you for the help guys. I have a glimmer of hope.
In game name: Dustin

Town_Drunkard
2 years ago#5
Bump

User Info: Knifegash

Knifegash
2 years ago#6
If you're booting off of the Windows 7 disc, you absolutely will be able to format every partition on the disc during the install process. I don't recall the menus, but look for the option to install to your preferred location.
Isn't that right, Zach?
http://tinyurl.com/5vsjbj6

Town_Drunkard
2 years ago#7
It's just that I can't get to that point. It asks me what language then I press continue then it will get hung up on startup is starting.

User Info: Lonestar2000

Lonestar2000
2 years ago#8
Try disabling Secureboot and UEFI in the BIOS.
Rumble Roses. Someone enters the room.
Them: O_O Me: What?! I always play games without my pants on!- Inmate 922335
  1. Boards
  2. PC
  3. Slight problem with installing Windows 7. (Help)

Report Message

Terms of Use Violations:

Etiquette Issues:

Notes (optional; required for "Other"):
Add user to Ignore List after reporting

Topic Sticky

You are not allowed to request a sticky.

• Topic Archived