The next GameFAQs contest is here! Sign in and enter a Best Year in Gaming bracket for a chance at a $1000 grand prize!

This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

What are the advantages of a real monitor over a HDTV ?

• Topic Archived
You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
  1. Boards
  2. PC
  3. What are the advantages of a real monitor over a HDTV ?

User Info: Kano92

Kano92
2 years ago#1
I've been using a 32" HDTV 1080p tv with my pc. Was wondering if I'm missing out on anything.
i5 2500k | ASUS P8P67 | CORSAIR 650W | 8GB DDR3 1600 | GTX 660 | 2TB 7200 RPM | Windows 7 64-bit

User Info: WerdnAndreW

WerdnAndreW
2 years ago#2
http://www.avsforum.com/t/1381724/official-4-4-4-chroma-subsampling-thread/0_100
Corsair 500r ~ P8Z68-V Pro ~ i5 2500k ~ Hyper 212+ ~ Corsair 2x4gb ~ TX750w v2 ~ MSI 780 TF ~ F3 1TB ~ Crucial M4 128GB ~ Xonar DG ~ Tt Meka G1 ~ Asus PA248Q

User Info: Mr Bump

Mr Bump
2 years ago#3
Eh, I'd rather game on a 120" and not have 4:4:4 tbh. PCs shouldn't be shackled to monitors, even if there are some minor benefits.
My games room: http://imgur.com/a/CA2yz XBL: Mister Bump PSN: Mr_BumpNZ
Yes, I have a 4 digit User ID and a space in my name. Yes I'm that old. >_<

User Info: Blobs_

Blobs_
2 years ago#4
I think a lot of HDTVs have a lot of input lag, whereas a proper monitor will have as little as possible. Though it's possible to disable a lot of the image processing in HDTVs anyways.
is haha

User Info: kobalobasileus

kobalobasileus
2 years ago#5
The Master Race only uses monitors. If you want to boost your Master Race cred, you must use a monitor, and even THINKING that a TV is good enough will get you classified as a peasant.

*Plays PC games exclusively on a Vizio 55" TV.*

User Info: Rapscallion84

Rapscallion84
2 years ago#6
Ugh, can you read anything on that display?

User Info: paramite12

paramite12
2 years ago#7
Better response time, but a lot of tv's like my Sony Bravia have a gaming mode that disables the post processing which greatly reduces input lag. I like playing on my HDTV, but I still have a monitor if I want to play in 3d and whatnot.
trolls, trolls everywhere

User Info: Kano92

Kano92
2 years ago#8
I've been looking at some monitors and was a little disappointed at what I saw. How come most monitors only have one DVI and why aren't these monitors using HDMI as the main connection ? I would have thought by now most of these monitors would also have HDMI ports. I can use the DVI for my PC but what about my PS3 and possibly a PS4 down the road. This is definitely a deal breaker for me. My Samsung tv is good tv I'll just have to get proper desk for it.
i5 2500k | ASUS P8P67 | CORSAIR 650W | 8GB DDR3 1600 | GTX 660 | 2TB 7200 RPM | Windows 7 64-bit

User Info: WerdnAndreW

WerdnAndreW
2 years ago#9
There are monitors with multiple inputs. My monitor has dvi, hdmi, vga, and display port.
Corsair 500r ~ P8Z68-V Pro ~ i5 2500k ~ Hyper 212+ ~ Corsair 2x4gb ~ TX750w v2 ~ MSI 780 TF ~ F3 1TB ~ Crucial M4 128GB ~ Xonar DG ~ Tt Meka G1 ~ Asus PA248Q

User Info: Slayn

Slayn
2 years ago#10
Do you have a 1440p tv?
You can spend $400 on a console and $400 on a cheap PC, or you can spend $800 to build your own and have the best of both worlds.
  1. Boards
  2. PC
  3. What are the advantages of a real monitor over a HDTV ?

Report Message

Terms of Use Violations:

Etiquette Issues:

Notes (optional; required for "Other"):
Add user to Ignore List after reporting

Topic Sticky

You are not allowed to request a sticky.

• Topic Archived