This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

graphics card inquiry, DDR (x) and such

• Topic Archived
You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
  1. Boards
  2. PC
  3. graphics card inquiry, DDR (x) and such

User Info: MasterShot2k5

MasterShot2k5
2 years ago#1
I currently do not know which DDR my graphics card runs. I run an AMD motherboard and my GFX card is AMD Raedon HD 6770.

I do not know how much voltage it requires, but I am looking to upgrade once I find work.

I understand the AMD R9 series is high end right now. The sapphire R9 looks pretty good to me, but it runs DDR5 Graphics memory also I am not sure how much my power supply must be as a means to floating it.

I run DDR3 RAM does that mean my graphics must also be DDR3?
Haters gonna hate......

User Info: Asellus

Asellus
2 years ago#2
It's not something you have to worry about at all.

User Info: MaxCHEATER64

MaxCHEATER64
2 years ago#3
Oh my.
Okay let's go line by line.

1: The HD 6770 used GDDR5, just like most graphics cards released in the past five or six years.
2: Voltage means very little in GPUs. It's all about the wattage.
3: The "R9" is not one card, and spans an entire industry's worth of individual cards.
3.5: What type of memory a card has has nothing to do with how much power it needs.
4: No.
https://i.imgur.com/6sZC0hY.png
"Some people have skeletons in their closets. I just have a bone in my pants." -Mitchell2003

MasterShot2k5
2 years ago#4
MaxCHEATER64 posted...
Oh my.
Okay let's go line by line.

1: The HD 6770 used GDDR5, just like most graphics cards released in the past five or six years.
2: Voltage means very little in GPUs. It's all about the wattage.
3: The "R9" is not one card, and spans an entire industry's worth of individual cards.
3.5: What type of memory a card has has nothing to do with how much power it needs.
4: No.

Do you recommend this one? :http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814202046
Haters gonna hate......

User Info: Shub

Shub
2 years ago#5
Sure, the R9 280X is a nice card. But you should figure out what kind of power supply you currently have in order to determine if you can use an R9 280X.
-What is best in life?
-To crush your enemies, see them driven before you, and to hear the lamentation of the women.

MasterShot2k5
2 years ago#6
Shub posted...
Sure, the R9 280X is a nice card. But you should figure out what kind of power supply you currently have in order to determine if you can use an R9 280X.

1.350 - 1.360 V variant.

Don't know the Watt totals.
Haters gonna hate......

User Info: MaxCHEATER64

MaxCHEATER64
2 years ago#7
MasterShot2k5 posted...
Shub posted...

1.350 - 1.360 V variant.

Don't know the Watt totals.

What is the make and model of your PSU?
https://i.imgur.com/6sZC0hY.png
"Some people have skeletons in their closets. I just have a bone in my pants." -Mitchell2003

User Info: SinisterSlay

SinisterSlay
2 years ago#8
Just to help, how much power does a 6770 use, is it more than a r9 280x?
He who stumbles around in darkness with a stick is blind. But he who... sticks out in darkness... is... fluorescent! - Brother Silence

User Info: Shub

Shub
2 years ago#9
No, a 6770 uses a lot less power than an R9 280X.
-What is best in life?
-To crush your enemies, see them driven before you, and to hear the lamentation of the women.

User Info: SinisterSlay

SinisterSlay
2 years ago#10
Shub posted...
No, a 6770 uses a lot less power than an R9 280X.

Ah that doesn't help then.
He who stumbles around in darkness with a stick is blind. But he who... sticks out in darkness... is... fluorescent! - Brother Silence
  1. Boards
  2. PC
  3. graphics card inquiry, DDR (x) and such

Report Message

Terms of Use Violations:

Etiquette Issues:

Notes (optional; required for "Other"):
Add user to Ignore List after reporting

Topic Sticky

You are not allowed to request a sticky.

• Topic Archived