This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Just ordered a Sapphire Vapor X R9 290!

• Topic Archived
You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
  1. Boards
  2. PC
  3. Just ordered a Sapphire Vapor X R9 290!

User Info: THE_WTF_PANDA

THE_WTF_PANDA
3 years ago#1
I have a couple of questions for you folks. Will a 700 watt 80plus bronze psu be enough if I don't plan on crossfiring? Also, my pcie 2.0 16x lane is broken so I'm going to seat it in the 8x lane. Will that give me a bottleneck?

I'm upgrading from a Msi Twin Frozr ii 6950 2gb. So, I expect the difference will blow me away. What do you all think? Should I expect to be able to run most if not all games near max @ 1080p?
PSN ID The_WTF_Panda / Origins ID Thom_Thistle/ 3DS FC 0061 0774 5074
Steam ID thewtfpanda / X/Y Users Must See http://tinyurl.com/aboutpikachu IGN DJ

User Info: protools1983

protools1983
3 years ago#2
Sapphire is garbage. AMD = FINISHED. You're screwed with that broken PCI slot. The PSU is fine.

Long story short, build a new system with a 780.
Xbox One - The console that made me the PC gamer I am today.
Yah like dahgs?

User Info: blax34dm

blax34dm
3 years ago#3
You will be able to max virtually everything and that PSU is plenty, dunno about the second question no experience there.

THE_WTF_PANDA
3 years ago#4
Thanks!
Steam ID thewtfpanda / X/Y Users Must See http://tinyurl.com/aboutpikachu IGN DJ

User Info: weAREtheB0RG

weAREtheB0RG
3 years ago#5
Congrats! Sapphire is a great brand and the R9 290 is a great card for the price. Sorry I can't help with the PCI-e question. My instinct is to worry about it as well, I feel like it will be bottlenecked but I'm not certain.

User Info: BannedMom

BannedMom
3 years ago#6
It should blow you away as the 6950 is now a mid range card.

Same level as the AMD 265. I would check the benchmarks.
I5-4440 - Asrock H81M - Zotac 750Ti - CM N200 = Future Emulation and Gaming Build @ 1600 x 900
PS3_PS2_PS1 Master.

THE_WTF_PANDA
3 years ago#7
Thanks folks. I read a titan only gets bottlenecked by about 3% if using a pcie 2.0 8x lane so I think I'll be fine. I'm too stoked. I've never gamed at anything higher than what my old 6950 could handle.

User Info: Sergei_Dukanov

Sergei_Dukanov
3 years ago#8
Dont try to crossfire. My 750w antec just couldnt handle it. But a damn good card. Hope you enjoy it. Oh, download afterburner. Then you are set. Welcome to the sensible side of gaming.
FX 8350 R9 290 crossfire.

User Info: smelly_boob

smelly_boob
3 years ago#9
as far as the bottlenecking is concerned.... like an idiot i accidently installed my 2nd r9 270x crossfire card in a pcie 2.0 4x slot.... after realizing my error i moved it to the proper 2nd pcie 2.0 x16 slot.... my 3d mark on firestrike went from 7200 to 7500.... so what is that a 4% gain?

tl:dr; you probably wont lose much performance in a pcie x8 slot

User Info: SAfricanGamer

SAfricanGamer
3 years ago#10
smelly_boob posted...
as far as the bottlenecking is concerned.... like an idiot i accidently installed my 2nd r9 270x crossfire card in a pcie 2.0 4x slot.... after realizing my error i moved it to the proper 2nd pcie 2.0 x16 slot.... my 3d mark on firestrike went from 7200 to 7500.... so what is that a 4% gain?

tl:dr; you probably wont lose much performance in a pcie x8 slot

4% is correct.

OP don't be afraid to OC that 290.

And the 290 is about 3x faster than the 6950, but don't expect it to blow you away.
I openly practise Theistic Satanism.
Do not let the word 'Satan' scare or anger you, the difference between Satanism and Theistic Satanism is light and day.
  1. Boards
  2. PC
  3. Just ordered a Sapphire Vapor X R9 290!

Report Message

Terms of Use Violations:

Etiquette Issues:

Notes (optional; required for "Other"):
Add user to Ignore List after reporting

Topic Sticky

You are not allowed to request a sticky.

• Topic Archived