This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Updating BIOS

• Topic Archived
You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
  1. Boards
  2. PC
  3. Updating BIOS

User Info: mrtywer

mrtywer
3 years ago#1
So, from looking about, I've heard that, with the release of the i5-4690 (my current cpu), H87 chipsets need to do a BIOS update in order to fully support the new cpu chips. I see the latest MSI bios on their website (I'm not touching Live-Update), do I NEED to update? I have v2.6, MSI has the latest at v2.7. I'm ON the computer in question, so it's not like it's not working.
MSI H87-G43 | Intel Core i5-4690 @ 3.5 Ghz | 8G Gskill Ripjaws X @ 1600 | Sapphire Radeon R7 260x

User Info: mrtywer

mrtywer
3 years ago#2
Bump for great justice!
MSI H87-G43 | Intel Core i5-4690 @ 3.5 Ghz | 8G Gskill Ripjaws X @ 1600 | Sapphire Radeon R7 260x

User Info: arleas

arleas
3 years ago#3
The general advice I always see here is that if everything is working, don't update, unless you can definitely see that something isn't working right... If you had a dual bios I'd say go for it anyway.
http://raptr.com/badge/arleas/uc.png
http://www.speedtest.net/result/3201564081.png

User Info: Lvthn

Lvthn
3 years ago#4
Sometimes the motherboard comes with updated BIOS to support newer CPUs already installed. P9X79 needs an update to run 4820K and above, but mine came with a sufficiently recent BIOS to still run it (I updated anyway since I have BIOS flash, but it worked straight out of the box).

If BIOS version is actually sufficient and you don't have dual BIOS or flash, updating is a risk. But if you don't, even if it seems to be working, I'd probably go ahead and update. Working right now doesn't mean instability can't crop up later.

User Info: romsnbombs

romsnbombs
3 years ago#5
If it had a bios updating tool within the bios menu itself, where you just copy the rom to a usb flash drive and click "update", I'd say have at it.

But if you're left flashing with some dodgy software from within windows, or making a DOS boot disk etc, leave it. Don't want to brick the board
2600k | GTX 780 | P8P67 M Pro | 8GB | VG248QE G-Sync
  1. Boards
  2. PC
  3. Updating BIOS

Report Message

Terms of Use Violations:

Etiquette Issues:

Notes (optional; required for "Other"):
Add user to Ignore List after reporting

Topic Sticky

You are not allowed to request a sticky.

• Topic Archived