This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

How often should you replace a PSU?

• Topic Archived
You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
  1. Boards
  2. PC
  3. How often should you replace a PSU?

User Info: turbovirgin

turbovirgin
2 years ago#1
I lifted an enermax noisetaker II 420W power supply from an old core 2 duo system that my office was getting rid of (see pic below).

I want to use it in a basic build for my brother, which doesn't need a load of power (i3 4130 + gtx 750), but since this thing is pushing 6+ years old (i'm guessing) is it safe to use? If the PSU dies by itself it wouldnt be a big deal but i'm worried about it possibly taking other components with it?

http://i.imgur.com/9bzP8yl.jpg
Heads on straight, my girlfriend's beautiful, looks pretty good to me

User Info: Black_King945

Black_King945
2 years ago#2
Depending on the date of manufacture on the desktop, that power supply could be four to seven years old.

I would absolutely drop the 60 dollars to get a new power supply from a reputable brand.

750 isn't power hungry, but putting using that PSU sounds like an experiment at best.

Get a new one.
i7 3770K | Asus Maximus V Gene | 16GB Gskill | Asus 660ti | Seasonic 500W

turbovirgin
2 years ago#3
Bump

User Info: BuyersRemorse55

BuyersRemorse55
2 years ago#4
corsair cx 430 seems to be on sale for $20 every other week somewhere between amazon, newegg, tigerdirect etc. I would just buy one like that.

User Info: BannedMom

BannedMom
2 years ago#5
Just buy a new one. Everybody will tell u d same answer even olif you keep bumping it
I5-4440 - Asrock H81M - Zotac 750Ti - CM N200 = Future Emulation and Gaming Build @ 1600 x 900
PS3_PS2_PS1 Master.

User Info: Jocko

Jocko
2 years ago#6
As drunk as BannedMom is right now I still agree with him. Get a new power supply to be on the safe side. If you can find a corsair 430 watt for $20 then go for it.
The oxygen's leaving my brain!!! --Clucky the Chicken
()===={SWORDSWORDSWORDSWORD> It's my SWORD sword.

User Info: DRAGON07891230

DRAGON07891230
2 years ago#7
Another vote for a new PSU here.
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817139049&nm_mc=AFC-C8Junction&cm_mmc=AFC-C8Junction-_-na-_-na-_-na&cm_sp=&AID=10446076&PID=3938566&SID=
Posted using GameFlux

User Info: KillerTruffle

KillerTruffle
2 years ago#8
Enermax used to be considered decent, but they really haven't kept up well with advances in PSU, so since standards have increased a whole lot, Enermax has fallen quite a ways, even tho their actual quality hasn't changed much.

You'd probably be better off with a newer, better quality PSU.
"How do I get rid of a Trojan Horse?" -Sailor_Kakashi
"Leave it outside the gates of Troy overnight." -Davel23

turbovirgin
2 years ago#9
The CX430 looks good but I'm also looking at an antec high current gamer 400W and a silverstone strider 600w (both modular) for around the same price. Can anyone comment if these 2 are better or worse than the CX series? The antec unit is $10 cheaper, while the silverstone unit is $10 more than the corsair unit.

User Info: DRAGON07891230

DRAGON07891230
2 years ago#10
turbovirgin posted...
snip

http://tinyurl.com/krsatxx
http://tinyurl.com/mcnhymh
_______()>===<()______........._______
[__]//P[__]======^^^^^^-------------------***** ( '_') > Uh Oh! (Unofficial Godhead of ESV boards)
  1. Boards
  2. PC
  3. How often should you replace a PSU?

Report Message

Terms of Use Violations:

Etiquette Issues:

Notes (optional; required for "Other"):
Add user to Ignore List after reporting

Topic Sticky

You are not allowed to request a sticky.

• Topic Archived