This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Build Advice?

• Topic Archived
You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
  1. Boards
  2. PC
  3. Build Advice?

User Info: kyte97

kyte97
2 years ago#11
Shub posted...
To your first question, it's just silly to limit your future upgrade options on purpose by getting a MicroATX motherboard. People get MicroATX motherboards because they want a smaller PC or they just don't care about upgradability and any motherboard will do the job. If you want a MicroATX case, then a MicroATX motherboard is justified and you should get a MicroATX case. Otherwise, an ATX motherboard should be your only choice.

To your second question, yes, though you'll probably want to do a clean install of the OS onto the SSD.

Ah that makes sense.

Thanks for the help
Lali-Ho!

User Info: Dragnfyr

Dragnfyr
2 years ago#12
If you're buying a new OS get Windows 8.1.
15.4" Retina MacBook Pro (Mid 2012) | Node 304 mITX | Gigabyte Z87N-WIFI | Intel Core i5-4670K | Asus GTX 760 | Corsair 1x8GB | EVGA 600W | 120+240GB SSDs

kyte97
2 years ago#13
I don't know, I'm not really feeling the weird touch screen oriented start menu for 8.1, so I might stick with 7.

For the motherboard I was thinking an Asus Z97-K, would that suffice? I'm not really planning on overclocking.

Also, I'm still open to headset suggestions
Lali-Ho!

User Info: Th1rte3n

Th1rte3n
2 years ago#14
W/E you do, do not get Turtle Beach headsets. They're terrible in many ways.

These(http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/607704-REG/Grado_SR_60I_SR60i_Dynamic_Open_Air_Stereo.html) with a clip on or desktop mic will do you much better.

Those go for 150+ on amazon, so 79.99 is a great deal.

kyte97 posted...
I don't know, I'm not really feeling the weird touch screen oriented start menu for 8.1, so I might stick with 7.

The great thing about PC gaming is you can modify pretty much anything. So you can get a start menu like W7 on W8.
i7-920 @ 3.6 // 770 GTX // 12 GB G.Skill Sniper Ram // PS3 // 360
FiiO e9+17 // AD700 + M50 // Deck Legend + 82 // DAS Ultimate S

User Info: Vmode

Vmode
2 years ago#15
kyte97 posted...

I'm in the same situation as you. I'm picking together a new PC and I decided to go with Windows 7. Mostly because I know my old stuff will work on it, I can get it cheep and what I've tried of Windows 8 I didn't like..

It'll also make it easier for me to motivate myself to get Windows 9 when that hits :-)

For the motherboard I was thinking an Asus Z97-K, would that suffice? I'm not really planning on overclocking.

I'd say go with the ASUS Z97-A. It's basically that same as the old Z87-A (which seems to be quite popular) with some minor upgrades at no extra charge.

You can do a spec comparison here: http://www.asus.com/us/Motherboards/Intel_Platform_Products/

If I may ask, why did you decide to go with the i5-4460? Everyone I know seems to be getting either the i5-4670K or i7-4770K.
"Better to reign in Hell, than serve in Heaven" - extract from Paradise Lost (Book 1, Line 263)

kyte97
2 years ago#16
Clouddx posted...

These(http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/607704-REG/Grado_SR_60I_SR60i_Dynamic_Open_Air_Stereo.html) with a clip on or desktop mic will do you much better.

Those go for 150+ on amazon, so 79.99 is a great deal.

I can't seem to find that particular one in Australia at that cost :\

So Turtle Beach is a bad choice? Should I just go with a Logitech headset?

Vmode posted...

I'd say go with the ASUS Z97-A. It's basically that same as the old Z87-A (which seems to be quite popular) with some minor upgrades at no extra charge.

You can do a spec comparison here: http://www.asus.com/us/Motherboards/Intel_Platform_Products/

If I may ask, why did you decide to go with the i5-4460? Everyone I know seems to be getting either the i5-4670K or i7-4770K.

Cost mostly. The 4670K is $60 more that the 4460. Same with the Z97-A, unless there's big need to, I'd rather keep the cost down.
Lali-Ho!

User Info: Th1rte3n

Th1rte3n
2 years ago#17
^
Turtle Beach is just bad; the sound quality on their headsets are crap, and the build quality is even worse. If you want a quality pair of phones stay far far away from them.

Logitech is much better as far as build quality is concerned, but it still lacks the sound quality that a good pair of headphones produce. You can also check out Corsair brand headsets, they're pretty good.

I would say your best bet is to check this list out: http://www.head-fi.org/t/534479/mad-lust-envys-headphone-gaming-guide-update-4-17-2014-akg-k612-and-k712-pro-added-edits
i7-920 @ 3.6 // 770 GTX // 12 GB G.Skill Sniper Ram // PS3 // 360
FiiO e9+17 // AD700 + M50 // Deck Legend + 82 // DAS Ultimate S

kyte97
2 years ago#18
I might actually get a pair of Corsairs, they're right into my budget, thanks for the advice
Lali-Ho!

User Info: it_r_over9000

it_r_over9000
2 years ago#19
As far as mouse goes, the Deathadder and G400S both have great sensors. Of course the Deathadder is a Razer product and isn't known for longterm reliability. I would recommend the G400S as a user of that mouse.
i7 4770k| Asus Z87 Plus| EVGA GTX 780 Ti SC| Corsair Vengeance LP 8GB (2x4)1866| EVGA Nex 650G| Kingston Hyperx 3k 120gb| Seagate 1 TB HDD
PSN- ponmbr [R3D]
  1. Boards
  2. PC
  3. Build Advice?

Report Message

Terms of Use Violations:

Etiquette Issues:

Notes (optional; required for "Other"):
Add user to Ignore List after reporting

Topic Sticky

You are not allowed to request a sticky.

• Topic Archived